Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During some off-road shenanigans, I managed to shatter one of my fog lights. Why go stock when you can upgrade? :)

Does anybody here have a suggestion for a set of fog lights? I'm looking for something bright, and probably yellow. Otherwise I'll lamin-x whatever I get.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
Factory light assembly since they fit easily then just change the bulbs for yellow, lamin-x the lenses or go with 5000 or 5500 HIDs and lamin-x, lamin-x just the bulbs, throw people off and install single projectors with HID lights in the fog assemblies with a switch to control the reflector motor to have high and low beam fogs. (I actually thought about doing this since there is plenty of space behind the fog assembly and nothing to interfere. Like a supercharger or battery.

I could most likely come up with more if I think about it longer. May post up some more later.

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
You can mount Hella 500's in the stock holes, but they don't fit all that well without some cutting, and you have to do some bracket fabricating...

The OE fogs are definitely just 'drop in'. I like the hi/lo beam fog idea, sounds very cool.

I'm in a similiar place, one of mine is totally shattered, and the other has a nice stone chip in it. :(

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I replaced both my fog lights with TYC oe assemblies and used Krylon yellow stained glass paint to tint the glass and then put an overlay of 40 mill clear Lamin-x.

I still have the stock bulbs though, so they could definetly be brighter with an upgraded bulb.

I went this route because I like how the stock assemblies sit in the bumper and yellow Lamin-x is only available in 12 mill.

You can view what the fogs look like in my thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/46616-2003-subaru-outback-project.html

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
My suggestion would be to do what Performance Suby did, and upgrade the stock 9006 bulbs to 9012 HIR ones. Minor trimming to the bulb base required, but a lot more light output, which will come through the yellow paint/film.

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Very cool advice Performance Suby. Looks like TYC and DEPO both make OE assemblies and they only cost ~10 more total than the Hellas. Thanks!

Btw - nice thread on your 2003, I have many of the same things to fix on my 02!

Cheers.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
My suggestion would be to do what Performance Suby did, and upgrade the stock 9006 bulbs to 9012 HIR ones. Minor trimming to the bulb base required, but a lot more light output, which will come through the yellow paint/film.
This.
Cost effective, factory mount, no special wiring.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. Just ordered some direct fit OE replacements :)

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Factory light assembly since they fit easily then just change the bulbs for yellow, lamin-x the lenses~~~~
That's what I did and am happy with the results. I used
bulbs and Lamin-X yellow lens covers.

I figure I can always upgrade the bulbs later if needed.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,760 Posts
I've been running 9005 bulbs for years. A minor tab mod with some washers to help hold it in place will up the output from 1000 lumens to 1700 lumens. Going with the 9012 HIR bulbs will get you somewhere between those figures, but going with the HIR 9011 will boost output to closer to 2200 lumens! Yes, the 9005/9011 draws about 15% more current (65w vs 55w), but the wiring seems to be fine with it. I also tipped them up slightly to put a bit more light down the road. Despite these changes, they still work great in bad weather conditions, with very good nearfield and midfield illumination and no reflected glare off either fog or snow.

I also installed a relay with dash switch so that my fogs can come on with the high beams for extra light on dark rural roads. The fogs provide extra side illumination and are very helpful in deer detection.

I did give a little thought to opening the enclosures and removing the bulb hood to see what the beam pattern would be like without it, but haven't gone that far yet.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Informative links. Thanks for posting :)

I'm waiting on my new lamps to arrive, and then I believe I'll go the same route Performance Suby did and spray 'em, followed up by lamin-x.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I expected would happen, the bolts that hold the fog light bracket to the body are rusted solid. I've snapped one on each bracket, even after a week of PB Blaster, a hammer, and heat.

I prodded around a bit and can't seem to access the backside of that bolt. I'm assuming there's a captive nut up there. I'll have to drill out the bolt but I need to be able to access the back side to put a nut on a longer bolt.

How do you gain access to the top side of the mounting points for the fog light bracket bolts?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Apologies, but you're doing it wrong.
There are extractors of course, but I've never had much luck using them. Drilling it out shouldn't mean you have to destroy the threads. If you drill it properly, you use a bit that's a touch smaller than the bolt at the depth of the normal thread, and you can then carefully chase the hole with a tap to clean out the old bolt threads. Sometimes when you've drilled far enough, the threads and remainder of the bolt will walk themselves out. Sometimes a reverse bit will let you walk it out as the bit bites its way into the bolt. Not saying its easy to keep centered while drilling, but why ream it out when you can at least take a shot at saving the threads?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,760 Posts
Even if you happen to drill it out and do damage the threads, just tap the captive nut with the next size up and put in a correspondingly larger bolt. Not a big deal in this application.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
I know that this isn't really the place, but I was wondering if someone could tell me how to remove the rock chip covers on my gen2 off without breaking them

·
Registered
01 OBW VDC AWD H6-3.0
114 Posts
I know that this isn't really the place, but I was wondering if someone could tell me how to remove the rock chip covers on my gen2 off without breaking them
Are you talking about the grilles on the front of the fog lights? If so, twist them to the left about 10 degrees and pull out.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
I fighters it would be easy, thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts