Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving on the highway, usually above 45-55mph the wheel will begin to vibrate usually on an incline or going around a turn. It kind of feels like the wheel is out of balance, but only in specific conditions.

Both driver's and passenger's side front control arms went bad, one after the other in my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited w/ SPA. The first broke around 90,000 miles, the second followed soon after around 100,000 miles.

Is this usual? Should I be expecting the back two control arms to go any day now?

In retrospect, I feel like I should have just replaced both at once however costly, it seems better in the long run.

I was thinking that perhaps the tires were rotated once putting two tires of unequal wear on either side of the front of the car. Maybe that could cause this? I had a tire blow and only opted to replace 1 instead of 2. I recently just updated to Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Tires and I am pleasantly surprised by the performance, handling is fantastic.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
788 Posts
What do you mean by saying your front control arms "went bad"?

If their bushings wore out, that is typical. But if they indeed warped or broke, that is an entirely different story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the bushing wore out could that alone make the wheel begin to vibrate violently on an incline or going around a turn? That didn't seem to happen on older Subarus when the bushings tore. Mechanic at the dealer did not describe the actual condition of the arm, except to say the bushing tore and that I need a new arm each time.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
788 Posts
If the bushings were extremely deteriorated, that could indeed cause significant vibrations. I would talk to your mechanic and gain a better understanding of exactly what he found wrong with your control arms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mechanic replaced bushing and sway bar. Problem seems to be resolved. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts