Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 OB with 96,000 miles. Through various inspections, including dealership(s) and independent mechanic, both engine mounts were broken- one VERY badly, one cracked. Also the bolt for the A/T mount was bent. The mechanic said these kinds of problems probably occurred via abnormal driving conditions....

My question is: what types of abnormal driving conditions/off roading/ or accidents would cause these breaks and stress to the engine and A/T mounts/ suspension? The car technically has a clean carfax with no accidents reported, however I do know that the owner replaced both front struts which I found odd, but did not question. Also, front swaybar endlink boots were torn.

Otherwise, nothing majorly wrong with car. Interior and Exterior in great shape. I got the car for a pretty good price knowing about these repairs and deciding to take the risk. Curious if this is a unreported minor or major accident? Any ideas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
One possible cause of broken motor mounts is a rear end crash. Saw that plenty of times when I was an insurance adjuster. You might want a carfax on this car or look to see if there is any paint overspray under the rear of the car, which would be evidence of a collision repair.

I would be hesitant of this one but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Upward shock to the undercarriage specifically the Oil Pan area is the only way I have ever seen the engine Cushions (motor mounts) tear. You say clean carfax so the only way I can think of is someone lifting the engine with the weight of the car on it, like jacking the car up via the engine, maybe to replace the front struts? As far as the rear trans mount bent I have seen this happen quite a bit, it doesn't take alot of shock to bend that stud, and a large rock at decent speed would do it. In the absence of a broken mount on the trans, I suspect this is the most likely cause of both your concerns.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
Could have been any number of things. My guess would be the transmission mount broke, was ignored and the added load on the engine mounts finally ripped them. The bent bolt could be from shock due to a broken mount. The center bolt attaches to the upper part of the mount to help hold the transmission from jumping too much and could bend with the torque over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts