Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX Coupe, previously had a '98 Outback with 245k before we retired it...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days ago I was driving home in a really bad thunderstorm. I had not thought about the fact that the glass in my right fog light was broken and that water might get in. I got home and i realized that the bulb had blown and i needed to replace it. When i went to take the assembly out, the screws stripped (just my luck)! My question is do I try to take the assembly out and replace the bulb or do I replace the whole fog light so the bulb doesnt blow again?

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Well I guess one way to decide is to look at how much the bulb costs vs the assembly and how often it rains there i.e. how often you're going to have to spend time changing the bulb. Personally I'd change the assembly if it's not outrageously priced.

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX Coupe, previously had a '98 Outback with 245k before we retired it...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yea I called my mechanic and he told me the same thing, that the bulb is just gonna keep breaking. So I decided to spend the $120 or so that he said it would cost to change the assembly.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
if it's like the fogs on the OB sport, they are super easy to change, three 10mm head bolts and one electrical plug which can only be snapped together the right way. consider doing the install yrself and save part of the cost.

have you tossed the old one yet? if not, do they use spring clips on the sides to hold the glass to back of light? if you still have, i'd be happy to buy the little clips (lost one, don't ask, Murphy stalks me ever...)

thanks.

bw

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I changed the fog light in my mechanics driveway and he took the old one away. Sorry about that, I would be more than happy to sell those clips to you if I had them, but my mechanic did take the old assembly after we replaced it.
cmfmets

1 - 6 of 6 Posts