Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here with a dumb question, or at least one which exposes myself as dumb. In the process of installing a backup camera on my wife's 2010 Outback, I managed to crack this large exterior plastic trim piece, which it appears that Subaru calls a "license pocket":

7526795.gif

Now I have found a few online dealers that carry this part, and even had one ordered through Subaru-Parts-Dealer.com. Before fulfilling the order though, they nicely informed me that the part comes unpainted, even though their site lists different part numbers for each of the factory colors (cypress green pearl, in my case). I cancelled the order and asked them why they list the different colors if the parts are not available painted, but haven't yet seen a response.

So my question is, does anyone here know of a way to procure this piece pre-painted in the factory color? I would much rather do this than have to deal with getting paintwork done locally, mainly because of the hassle of leaving the vehicle at a shop for a few days, dealing with a rental car, etc etc.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If the part is not available painted, I am not sure about this but could be true, why not still get the part and just bring the part to the paint shop? They should be able to match the factory color from the paint code without the rest of the car. Then pick up the part when it is done and it would be no different then getting it pre-done in the mail, except for the 2 trips to your favorite paint shop.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I doubt they come pre-painted, and suspect the dealer orders > paints the part to the paint code > delivers to customer.<O:p</O:p
Or you get the part and have a body shop paint it. If you DIY there should no down/shop time, you just swap them out.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt they come pre-painted, and suspect the dealer orders > paints the part to the paint code > delivers to customer.<O:p</O:p
Or you get the part and have a body shop paint it. If you DIY there should no down/shop time, you just swap them out.<O:p</O:p
Yep, it's looking like that may be the only option, but just wanted to check and see if you guys had any better ideas. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yep, it's looking like that may be the only option, but just wanted to check and see if you guys had any better ideas. Thanks for the input!
How would it look with just black or whatever color the trim piece comes in? When I scratched the paint on a trim piece on my motorcycle, I realized it was much easier to paint it black than to try to color-match the red. Ended up looking way cooler in black.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
Check with body/paint shops. The cost of painting the relatively small "rear gate garnish" (see attached) might be a surprise.

It's not a quick single task. There's paint equipment set-up, surface prep, primer coat, color coats and clear coat, all for a small part, while larger jobs have to wait. It might turn out to be more effective to have the dealer/body shop replace the part altogether when considering the time to remove the old one and install the new one with the lights etc, the risk of further damage, and the probable lack of any "warranty" on the part and paint surface once it leaves the shop. I'm not saying it will be less expensive, but that the cost of various options might be worth investigating beforehand.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
most paint shops will mix a matching color into a spray can for you, just use it like any other spray paint can. prime it paint it call it done. in the past its been around 25-30 bucks for the custom mixed color matched to your paint code. thats way cheaper than getting any shop to do it. If you want even cheaper, get an off the shelf spray paint from a parts store, in a nice accenting color. the job will be done and your subie is now custom :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
reddrexx
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing