Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post.

Last night I accidentally slammed down the rear lift-gate of my wife's 2011 Outback onto a metal dog crate that was sitting in the back. (lots of yelling :() Anyway.. I put a big crack in the main plastic part of the inside of the lift gate. I would like to replace it, but I haven't been able to find the part online. I have found what I think is the proper part diagram (on multiple websites) but that individual part isn't labeled. To clarify, it's the largest dark gray plastic part of the lift gate's interior.

Does anyone know what the part is, and where I can get one? Also, is swapping it out a huge job, or something I should be able to handle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
So it is part #5. I cracked mine about a month after I bought the car over two years ago by closing it on a plastic container with a wetsuit in it.

I put some stickers on the crack after JB failed. Thanks for the part schematics. Unless I blow a chunk out of the trim, I will probably just let it go. I bet the equivalent part would be 4X$91 for a Lexus.

Also, part #12 fell out in the first week of ownership. I drove to UT and a dealership, Nate Wade, popped a new plug in under warranty. It is still there.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Speaking of costs for parts.
My 2001 Legacy GT Limited side mirror was $150 - my wifes 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T side mirror was $440... Her replacement key was $250 - mine was $5. Doesn't even need to be a Lexus to see big price differences.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
And Welcome Pcampy. The hatch trim plastic is brittle brittle. I bet there are quite a few forum members who have cracked that piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Anyone know how hard replacing that panel will be? I'm sure plenty of people have had to remove it.. to install a backup camera maybe?? I might have to invest in a repair manual on eBay.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks!

Anyone know how hard replacing that panel will be? I'm sure plenty of people have had to remove it.. to install a backup camera maybe?? I might have to invest in a repair manual on eBay.
It's not too hard, but there are a few tricks. First off, inside the grab handle on the lower edge of the piece (9 in the diagram), there's a screw (10 in the diagram). To get to it, you need to lift a plastic cover with a razor blade...look closely inside the handle, you'll see what I mean. The rest of it is held in with plastic clips, which just snap in place. You may want to buy a bag of extra clips, because they can fall out and always get lost. When you put it back, it's a bit of a trick to to get it right. You have to make sure all the plastic clips are lined up, then rap it sharply. If the clips are lined up just so, it pops right in. If the clips aren't lined up, don't force or you may find yourself buying yet another trim piece. Unless you're really tall, you're going to need a step stool to work on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts