Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's wallet fell under power passenger seat on 2011 Outback.:eek: She moved seat back and wallet was caught between sound amplifier and outside track. By pushing and holding the switch the cable between motor and outboard rail tangled and broke. Motor and inside drive still okay.:) An easy fix? No Subaru wants $1,250 to replace entire under seat mechanism. The cable is not replaceable. So a misplaced wallet took down our new Subaru. Does anybody know if there's a way to replace just that cable to the outside track?

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
Is it an electrical cable that broke? Can you describe how it's broken. If one or more wires was cut, I would think it should be possible to reconnect/splice the ends once the seat is out and there's access to the broken wires. Note: there's several wiring harnesses under the seat, including for the power seat, the air bag, the airbag passenger sensor, and the seat heater (if so equipped). Is it the cable to the seat front-rear movement motor that was damaged?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not an electric cable but the drive cable (rod) from the motor to the outside rail. The cable rod has unwound and needs to be replaced. Subaru says that part is not available.:mad:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
1 Posts
I've been searching the forums for a similar situation. I have no solution yet either. We have a 2013 Outback. Unbeknownst to us a small bottle of water had rolled under the passenger front seat. We took the car in for an unrelated repair (door panel ding on left side). After the car was repaired no one had sat in the passenger seat for two days and then we discovered the seat would only move on the left rail. The tech had broken the seat though it was our fault for leaving the bottle under the seat and hoped we wouldn't notice. They were right. Anyway I could see the drive shaft cable had popped out of the right side I stuck it in and was able to move the seat, but cable wouldn't stay. I have all the parts

They wouldn't fix it and I took it to the dealer. They too told us they don't replace just the cable but the entire under seat assembly and that would cost $1050. It took me a while to even find the name of the part. It's a flexible power seat drive shaft. I found parts for Porsches that look very much like it. I was able to take pictures of where the cable goes into the gear and the gear isn't damaged, so all I need is the cable. I can fix it myself if I had that part. I could probably reassemble the cable and cover but the end of the cable is stripped and the wire wrapping is a bit shredded.

Note: I'm probably going to start a new thread but wasn't even sure what forum to post it in, but this seems to be the one. I'll post pictures of the parts to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but I was wondering if you found a part for this? I have the same issue. I need the flex cable. Thanks.

I've been searching the forums for a similar situation. I have no solution yet either. We have a 2013 Outback. Unbeknownst to us a small bottle of water had rolled under the passenger front seat. We took the car in for an unrelated repair (door panel ding on left side). After the car was repaired no one had sat in the passenger seat for two days and then we discovered the seat would only move on the left rail. The tech had broken the seat though it was our fault for leaving the bottle under the seat and hoped we wouldn't notice. They were right. Anyway I could see the drive shaft cable had popped out of the right side I stuck it in and was able to move the seat, but cable wouldn't stay. I have all the parts

They wouldn't fix it and I took it to the dealer. They too told us they don't replace just the cable but the entire under seat assembly and that would cost $1050. It took me a while to even find the name of the part. It's a flexible power seat drive shaft. I found parts for Porsches that look very much like it. I was able to take pictures of where the cable goes into the gear and the gear isn't damaged, so all I need is the cable. I can fix it myself if I had that part. I could probably reassemble the cable and cover but the end of the cable is stripped and the wire wrapping is a bit shredded.

Note: I'm probably going to start a new thread but wasn't even sure what forum to post it in, but this seems to be the one. I'll post pictures of the parts to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts