Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I own a 2003 h6 Outback

Recently th electric window on my passenger side has stopped working from both the driver and passenger controls.
What could be the cause of this and does anyone have a souloution.
Thanks

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,536 Posts
More than likely it is a faulty window drive motor. They are a bit of a pain to replace but it can be done with some patience.

Seagrass

Reactions: h6m8

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,142 Posts
I assume you mean that only the front passenger window stopped working.

If both driver door and front passenger door switches were working, and they both suddenly stopped working at the same time while the other passenger windows in the back continue to work from both switches, chances are that it's either the window motor, or the wiring in the boot coming through the front passenger door. The symptoms you list suggest it's not the inhibit switch on the driver door.

I do have schematics for a 2008, but I know there are those on the forum here with Gen 2 schematics sets that could better assist you in diagnosing the problem.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Most likely the window motor.

Easy switch test is to take out the front switch and swap with a rear switch you know works. They have the same connector. If the window does not operate, you move to checking the motor.

You would remove the door panel and check the power and ground to the motor while activating the switch. You can easily do this at the two wire connector for the window motor. The switch reverses the polarity sent to the motor depending on up or down operation. If power and ground is present, the motor is the problem.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
h6m8,

Check the rubber gaiter at the door hinge. Most likely a broken wire. If its the window motor ... here's a free download to the factory service manual for your year:

Index of /Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/2003

Click on the service manual and download the sections you need. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts