Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke the USB receptacle in the armrest cubby. Going to try and pop off the small plastic plate and see what I can do about it. Anyone dealt with this? I think id rather reroute the usb such that it comes out next to cig. lighter, regardless. Anyone done this via original cable or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Can't help you with the broken USB but I had a bad feeling about the location from the get-go. You have to fumble blind and the console cover when open makes it tough to even get a hand down in there. Not to mention objects in and out of the console banging into a thumb drive inserted into the USB. Even a mini is unprotected. I chose to use a 6" USB extension and hang it out of the side of the console towards the drivers seat verses tring to relocate. Simple, cheap and easy to use.

This pictorial is for the media hub install but has a good pic of how the USB/mini jack panel is held in place. It might help you a bit. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...t/39829-media-hub-installation-pictorial.html

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
I haven't tried to relocate it, but it should be doable. The module just snaps into place, so as long as you cut the hole small enough, it should snap in fine. The harder trick is rerouting the original cables. They are bound up and tied down to the floor under the center console. Need to get them free while being somewhat careful.

I am like OBnube where I run a small cable out to the cup holders. Makes it convenient to hook up my phone that way without reaching in the box. Sometimes I have the cable routed to the small top compartment in the armrest and hide my phone there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I removed enough of the center trim to see that the USB socket is a part of a larger circuit board, all of which needs to be replaced. I made an appt with service dept to see if they will cover it as we've bought two new Subaru's from them in the last 12 months. The part itself can be had for about $75 with shipping and I can pull the trim to replace it if need be. The stock location is really terrible. I'll run a permanent short cord like you did once I get the replacement sorted out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts