Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks I guess I shouldn't tempt fate.

I said somewhere recently that I've had zero failures on both Gen 5's but this past weekend I was in Philadelphia for a wedding and on the way back I noticed a creaking noise. I figured it was related to the bumper recently being off and didn't think much of it.

Tonight I dug in a bit more to see if I could see anything going on.

Drivers Front Sway Bar End-link failed. The boot split at the top connection.

I'm guessing this was the cause of the creaking noise I was hearing as I couldn't find anything else.

Car:

2017 3.6 CVT Limited Eyesight Sunroof Green.

Mods:

2" ADF Lift, CKE Insert, Skid Plates

Mileage: 45,000 Miles

I'll just keep this thread going with any other failures that pop up in the future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
I must say this is a failure where the modification is probably to blame. When I put a 2" lift, I installed the RalliTek sway bar end links and adjusted them to compensate for the lift.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must say this is a failure where the modification is probably to blame. When I put a 2" lift, I installed the RalliTek sway bar end links and adjusted them to compensate for the lift.
I think it's very likely related to the lift but not 100%.

Hence me writing about it here.

Not a big deal really.

After experiencing the front sway bar breaking near the bushing on my Gen 2 and being told it was from abuse but seeing all kinds of others of that same era breaking in the exact same spot, I just think it's worth writing down somewhere.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Dang, nice ear and find. How long did it take you to pinpoint it? I probably ignore too many noises like that!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
65,000 miles and some bad some storms blew through the area.

When loading the car I was having trouble standing in the parking lot.

Got on the highway and set cruise to 68 mph.

Big gust of wind happened and the car knocked around and ripped my fender liner off on the passenger side.

Whether it was because of the wheels I have, the wind, or the previous damage to the same fender from a bad water entry I'm not sure.

But I wanted to make a note of it. It's the first I've heard of it happening.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last week I got caught in a bad hail storm out of no where. Golf ball sized hail pelted the car for around ten minutes.

My windshield didn't crack nor did my sunroof.

However, I now have dozens of dents all over the roof, hood, and entire upper half of all 4 doors. I also just noticed today that the headlight is also cracked.

Rear brakes were changed at 60k approximately and front were changed at 65k approx. Both were just a pad slap and still running the original rotors.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had my first check engine light at Approx 70k.

P0455

The wife borrowed the car for the week to visit her family.

She came back this morning and the check engine light came on.

With the code I believe that the gas cap was just loose. I checked and it was loose.

I'll update if it's anything else.
20200704_102041.jpg

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was moving a 2000~ lb log (44x48x40" Silver Maple) to the fire pit. It took two big guys just to tip it over and since it wasn't perfectly round it was tough to roll evenly.

I got lazy and decided to use the winch. I parked the car in place opposite the fire pit and unraveled the winch.

We stretched it out to the end of the line and POP. The whole line came out. I guess I assumed the end of the line was either tied or had a thimble piece to lock it in at the end. Assumed it wasn't just pressed through.

Shouldn't be a big deal to get it back on. Just need to get the bumper off again.

The good news is we just ended up pushing the log the rest of the way.

Ready for a summer bonfire now.

2020-07-10.jpg

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
What was the noise coming from the front when your endlinks failed? Mine is a clunking sound when you stop and then go.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What was the noise coming from the front when your endlinks failed? Mine is a clunking sound when you stop and then go.
It was a clunk when going over speed bumps. At first I thought it was the tie rods.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
245 Posts
Considering the pretty heavy stuff you put your Outback through, your car is doing quite well I think. Very few people push their cars like you do.

For me (knock on wood), still zero mechanical issues on my 2017. But the past year I've barely drove - "grocery hauler" is the best way to phrase the past six months of driving I've done. Except for the rock ding in the windshield that happened in 2017 - it was a big rock - and the inevitable door dings that happens in parking lots, my Outback is still going strong. Even still sort of smells new, too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts