Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BSD/RCTA disabled warning activated while I was towing a motorcycle trailer last weekend. Checked the owner manual and found I was supposed to disable it myself when towing a trailer because the sensors get confused by the trailer behind (also in some other situations).

So now I know to manually turn the system off when I hook up my trailer.

OK, I know why it disabled itself...But the trailer isn't connected now and I can't turn t back on. Pushing the BSD on/off button does nothing except momentarily illuminate the mirror indicators. The system stays disabled.

I even disconnected the battery to try and reset with no success.

Any ideas before I go to see the dealer???

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,399 Posts
Any ideas before I go to see the dealer???
My guess is that it set a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) that needs to be cleared. The DTC may clear itself after some number of error-free starts, you may be able to clear it using an OBD-II scan tool, or the dealer may have to clear it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring Pearl White
37 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen recently. I took it to the dealer and they recalibrated the radar (no charge, of course) per a technical bulletin. I have the bulletin number on my invoice which isn't handy. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

·
Registered
1) 2016 Outback 3.6R + Eyesight + Nav + Moonroof + Remote Start 2) 2012 Outback Premium 6sp MT
27 Posts
I recently had the same issue in my 2016 3.6. Not the trailer part though. I took it to the dealer. They were able to pull some type of code. End result, the sensors in the back needed to be replaced. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2016 Outback
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.... I drove it a few times after taking the trailer off but no help, same as disconnecting the battery.

Home from the trip now. As soon as I disconnect the trailer I'm going to run up to the Advance Auto near me and borrow their scan tool. If that's no help it's off to the dealer.

I just recently visited the dealer for a discharging battery problem. They had an update for the ECU to help with that. they knew what it was as soon as I pulled in the service drive.

Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
2016 Outback
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news... before I could visit the dealer the BSD/RCTA disabled warning turned itself off...now operating as normal. Guess I just needed a few more drive cycles with out the trailer to reset itself.

Yeah !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen recently. I took it to the dealer and they recalibrated the radar (no charge, of course) per a technical bulletin. I have the bulletin number on my invoice which isn't handy. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it.
I seem to be a bit late to this party, but would you happen to have that bulletin number or any information that would be helpful to me in convincing my dealer that a problem exists?

I recently have been experiencing the same issue. My BSD/RCTA shows as disabled and when i took it in to a dealer they gave it back and said there was nothing wrong. I pointed to the still illuminated indicator light on the dashboard! They seem to be clueless.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I seem to be a bit late to this party, but would you happen to have that bulletin number or any information that would be helpful to me in convincing my dealer that a problem exists?

I recently have been experiencing the same issue. My BSD/RCTA shows as disabled and when i took it in to a dealer they gave it back and said there was nothing wrong. I pointed to the still illuminated indicator light on the dashboard! They seem to be clueless.
Does the button to turn on/off the SRVD (side/rear vehicle detection) do nothing? If it didn't toggle the setting on/off, then the dealer should have looked into that.

The Technical Service Bulletins for the SRVD errors are specific to a particular DTC stored in memory... if the dealer didn't find them, those don't apply (they're for early gen5 cars - 2015... one is an omission in the 2015 factory service manual procedure for checking when a DTC is found, and the other is for another DTC as some early radar units were faulty). Calibrating the radar is required when the new units are installed (both cases above mention replacing the radar units).

In the absence of any DTCs stored in memory, if the function is disabled and the switch doesn't toggle it on/off, there are procedures to follow to diagnose errors/problems with phenomenon (no specific error code, but the problem is evident/observable).

Take the car in and tell them to show you how to turn the system back on and keep it on if it's working fine... and if they can't, then they can look into why it's not working right!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the button to turn on/off the SRVD (side/rear vehicle detection) do nothing? If it didn't toggle the setting on/off, then the dealer should have looked into that.

The Technical Service Bulletins for the SRVD errors are specific to a particular DTC stored in memory... if the dealer didn't find them, those don't apply (they're for early gen5 cars - 2015... one is an omission in the 2015 factory service manual procedure for checking when a DTC is found, and the other is for another DTC as some early radar units were faulty). Calibrating the radar is required when the new units are installed (both cases above mention replacing the radar units).

In the absence of any DTCs stored in memory, if the function is disabled and the switch doesn't toggle it on/off, there are procedures to follow to diagnose errors/problems with phenomenon (no specific error code, but the problem is evident/observable).

Take the car in and tell them to show you how to turn the system back on and keep it on if it's working fine... and if they can't, then they can look into why it's not working right!
I appreciate the info. I have a second appointment with the dealer next week. I will definitely use this information when discussing the problem with them

I was under the impression (because I was told) that the BSD/RCTA (Blind Side Detection/Rear Cross Traffic Assist) feature was on at all times and could be turned off with the push button toggle, but not on. When the car is shut off and then restarted, it automatically comes on. So I was told.

In any event, each time I start the vehicle, I am notified that the BSD/RCTA is disabled. But nothing is wrong. Never mind the man behind the curtain. Hahaha

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I appreciate the info. I have a second appointment with the dealer next week. I will definitely use this information when discussing the problem with them

I was under the impression (because I was told) that the BSD/RCTA (Blind Side Detection/Rear Cross Traffic Assist) feature was on at all times and could be turned off with the push button toggle, but not on. When the car is shut off and then restarted, it automatically comes on. So I was told.

In any event, each time I start the vehicle, I am notified that the BSD/RCTA is disabled. But nothing is wrong. Never mind the man behind the curtain. Hahaha
no, you can turn it on or off. It will stay in whichever state you leave it in. It will reset on it's own if you disconnect the battery, otherwise it remembers which state it was in when the car is turned off. You could try to press and hold the button for it - takes about 2-3 seconds and then should turn on.

There are specific warning messages if the system is turned off due to a malfunction. Those are the banner messages, usually say it's disabled, and then tell you to check the owner's manual.

A persistent banner message on the multifunction display (not the little icon) is usually an indication of a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts