Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a budget media receiver for my Hyundai and wanted to know if anyone had any experience, good or bad, with any of the budget brand receivers.

Considering I only use CDs made from digital music I already have on my computer, and now I have an extra 32gb iPhone ready to be filled with music, I don't see any need for a CD player. Ideally I want an Aux in for my XM and a usb for my iPhone or thumb drive, SD slot is a plus. Bluetooth would be nice, but I'm not willing to pay extra for it. Sound quality isn't a high priority, and radio reception could be nil for all I care.

I would appreciate any input. My budget is <$50

I am specifically looking at this one right now
Amazon.com: Dual XR4115 In-Dash MP3, WMA Mechless Digital Media Receiver with USB, 3.5mm and SD Card Inputs: Car Electronics

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not specifically your question but I had the issue of only one aux input and wanted to be able to use it for both my iphone and Sirius. I spent about $30 in parts and built a switch box. If I want to listen to my phone instead of satellite, I just flip a switch.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not specifically your question but I had the issue of only one aux input and wanted to be able to use it for both my iphone and Sirius. I spent about $30 in parts and built a switch box. If I want to listen to my phone instead of satellite, I just flip a switch.

Cheers
If my Hyundai already had an AUX in I'd do just that. In fact I did just that for my OB. I have a switched box in my console to go from XM to iPhone. I only spent $12 in parts though ;)

I had a fancier one with led's and a relay that was powered from a usb charger so it was easier for my wife to figure out which input was on, but someone broke into my car.. so I went cheap and easy on the second attempt. Just used a non-powerd DPDT switch and bridged the grounds. I've used a rocker switch and now a slide switch. I'm tempted to try a 3rd one with a push switch.

I can't beleive there isn't an inexpensive off the shelf product already.

Fatabbot, I'm kinda thinking the same thing. I found a Boss one on Amazon for the same price with more positive reviews. Anyone know of a cheaper place to buy cheap stereos. Crutchfield doesn't have anything less than $60. And I don't want to risk ebay.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Considering I worked at a brick and mortar specialty shop for 7 years I would stay as far away from brands that aren't traditionally considered "name brand". We installed many consumer provided radios and amps and generally the cheaper the unit the more problems we encountered. The problems ranged from dead out of the box to whine with all sources, clicks, pops, and various other oddities. Just like most consumer electronics you will get what you pay for and I would look at craigslist or other peer to peer sites to get a second hand reputable brand instead of a new cheap brand. With all that said you are leaving yourself with very little room unless you don't mind waiting around for a deal. I picked up an Alpine iPod unit off craigslist for $40 and all it needed was a trim ring. I'm using it on my bench in the garage so it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The local pawn shop is stuffed with name-brand car stereos for pennies on the dollar. Some come with enough of the wiring harness to make it easy, some don't. Maybe you have something local?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ thanks for the link JP. That's not too bad of a deal, and with 1a output on USB it should charge my phone up quickly. (I assume it charges, otherwise why tout 1a output?)

rasterman, I never considered a pawn shop. For some reason they just never come to mind, but it would probably be a great place to look. I'm a bit gunshy with craigslist, as I don't have much recourse if it's a bust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
vr4Legacy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing