Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble finding a hood bug shield for my 2000 outback. If anyone could give me some guidance I would really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Clear Bra is the best - like subiesailor mentioned earlier....in my opinion anyway....

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
clear bra is pricey but looks nice.

the deflector might work better as it may throw bugs over the windshield at highway speeds - not sure.

could be some on ebay or maybe someone here or over at ultimatesubaru.com has one off a parts car or from a junkyard?

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
clear bra is pricey but looks nice.

the deflector might work better as it may throw bugs over the windshield at highway speeds - not sure.

could be some on ebay or maybe someone here or over at ultimatesubaru.com has one off a parts car or from a junkyard?
That is the only reason I would want one but haven't found an answer....

Does it "throw bugs over the windshield at highway speeds"?

Anyone have a before and after insulation experience with the "bug" issue?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
That is the only reason I would want one but haven't found an answer....

Does it "throw bugs over the windshield at highway speeds"?

Anyone have a before and after insulation experience with the "bug" issue?

Nope I've never seen a car profile get altered enough to create enough turbulence and disconnected air flow to make bugs miss the windshield. The more turbulence and non linear air flow you have the worse your gas mileage gets.

Those old 80's deflectors were the only solution to what the 3m Bra product does now. Only your cars Aerodynamics isn't being altered in a negative way like the plastic deflectors impacted it. Those deflectors always wore spots on the hood paint when dirt got under them also. Old tech thats obsolete

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
I want one for the looks, but how much does it effect gas mileage?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Spit on the ground. That's about the amount of extra gas it'll use over a full tank, if any at all.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
I Knew it would be small, but i was wondering if anyone had done numbers. The difference would probably stay inside standard deviation

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
from reading around the web, I'll list some of the stuff folks 'claim' - positive and negative and, unknown or interesting;

1. might be noisier

2. may not negatively affect mileage because it doesn't increase frontal area. The air it intercepts would just be hitting the windshield anyway.

3. may help some trucks get better mileage

4. may create turbulence worsening drag

5. when you shoot water from a hose at ir, definitely deflects upwards

6. protects hood from stone chips

7. collects a lot of bug guts and must be cleaned

8. Bugs hitting the windshield causes distractions and is known to cause wrecks.

It seems they are a mixed bag and there is little independent/trustworthy testing.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
It seems like when there are such suffering and opposite accounts, there really isn't anything to report.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts