Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked at the soon to be available Buick Regal TourX? It sure looks like an OB competitor. Pricing does not seem available yet. Claims it has more cargo room than the Outback. Feature list seems similar to the 2018 OB as well.

Sounds interesting. Will follow.

First-Ever 2018 Buick Regal TourX

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Yes this Opel is a kick-*ss Buick finally we get a sportwagon.

Too bad they had to butch it up with all the cladding to satisfy our SUV-ification of our wagons. It even has more cargo space and looks way sexier.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Any word on where they are building it? Previous-generation Regals were made in Germany, China & Canada, with the North American market supplied initially by Germany, then Canada after that plant came online.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Have you seen the approach and take-off angles? Doesn't even look like it could go up a steep driveway.
It's a sportwagon, not a truck. Some of wish for wagons without the stilts and a turbo punch.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Any word on where they are building it? Previous-generation Regals were made in Germany, China & Canada, with the North American market supplied initially by Germany, then Canada after that plant came online.
Supposed to be built in Germany.

I'm looking forward to test driving one but my local Buick dealer keeps claiming he has no idea when they will make an appearance.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R WGM
151 Posts
Sharp looking car, that moonroof...
I'd be all about this save 2 things.

Ground Clearance- deal breaker for me, I'm not a "hard core off-roader" but I do come from having 9" or more of ground clearance. I have a tendency to turn into parking lots and driveways pretty hot at times and I refuse to be someone who comes to a complete stop on a busy street to gently edge over the transition. That and the ability to haul cheeks down fire-roads is still pretty high on my priority list.

I'm not sure I trust GMs as I usually own my cars for a decade at a clip... Remember the Saturn "Astra"?

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
927 Posts
With the Ascent and Forester being Subaru's traditional looking suv's I will put money on the Gen 6 Outback looking more like this Buick

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
927 Posts
Looks like 30k base. Add in their eyesight and some other goodies and guess it is a 35-40k car plus the GC of a Impreza

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
Sharp looking car, that moonroof...

Ground Clearance- deal breaker for me, I'm not a "hard core off-roader" but I do come from having 9" or more of ground clearance. I have a tendency to turn into parking lots and driveways pretty hot at times and I refuse to be someone who comes to a complete stop on a busy street to gently edge over the transition. That and the ability to haul cheeks down fire-roads is still pretty high on my priority list.

I'm not sure I trust GMs as I usually own my cars for a decade at a clip... Remember the Saturn "Astra"?
I agree with 75cavetrolls' reservations.

I never have liked Buicks. Their "it doesn't look like a Buick!" marketing campaign in recent years has been amusing, though. I can understand them trying to put that old crap behind, but a campaign based on "our cars aren't quite as boring and ridiculous as they used to be" hardly inspires; they're probably OK cars, but they're still Buicks.

Ground clearance was a major consideration when shopping for the OB because, as mentioned, we sometimes find ourselves on interesting "roads".

Turbo: does it need premium fuel? If so, forget it. I had my dad's '86 Saab 900T for about a decade - it would go like a scalded cat back when we could get good 93-octane E0 fuel, the first few years I had it. In later years, the best I could find was 92 octane (probably E10, but not sure), and the APC always cut the boost back. My kids used it as their go-to-school daily driver for much of that time; fortunately, they weren't willing to spend the extra money for premium, and with 87-octane regular, it hardly allowed any boost at all, which was fine with me. While it was fun to drive, given the added complexity and maintenance of turbochargers I'm not all that inclined to go that route of there are adequate alternatives, even if it doesn't need premium fuel to work.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,359 Posts
All responses below per https://www.caranddriver.com/buick/regal-tourx/specs/2018/regal-tourx-wagon/394444

And one more deal-breaker for me: Base Curb Weight is 4239 ibs. for the base model, about 600 lbs. heavier than a 3.6 OB [edit: ....600 lb's heavier than my Gen 3 OB].

is it a transverse engine?
Those side cutaway photos seem to suggest this, but really can't be sure.

Looks like 30k base. Add in their eyesight and some other goodies and guess it is a 35-40k car plus the GC of a Impreza
MSRP $35,945 for the "Essence" package

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts
All responses below per https://www.caranddriver.com/buick/regal-tourx/specs/2018/regal-tourx-wagon/394444

And one more deal-breaker for me: Base Curb Weight is 4239 ibs. for the base model, about 600 lbs. heavier than a 3.6 OB.
383 lbs, but who's counting :wink2:

The car is nearly a foot longer and an inch winder than the Subaru. I can't blame them for the weight. Plus I'd wager the sheet metal is a bit thicker than Subaru is known to use.

The biggest let down is it's AWD system is a re-active based Haldex (I believe). Shame that Audi and Subaru seem to be the only companies with pro-active (continual) AWD system's these days... even then it seems like Audi is abandoning it.

Overall, it's got me paying attention, especially if it comes with the typical GM incentives.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
That's just the low, broad hoodline. The Volvo v60 uses the same look to the same good effect.

They aren't large cars, but they aren't small either.

I've never had a GM. While easy on the eyes this car isn't going to change that.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring
7 Posts
The Opel produced Buick Tour-X is one very nice looking vehicle, but keep in mind that GM just sold Opel & Vauxhall to Puegeot / Citroen this summer, so it is pretty much an orphan before it even hits dealer lots. I'm not sure how long Puegot will be required to supply Buick with cars or if they even have any interest in doing so. Opel was cash sinkhole for GM, so PSA may have other ideas about how to use the former Opel assembly plants. Although Buick has been doing well in the ratings lately, Opel is still largely an unknown. Opel's last attempt in this country was the Cadillac Catera, and it was pretty terrible even by 80s standards. Much has changed since then, but I'm not sure I would want to be driving an GM European orphan from a China-centric division when the warranty runs out.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts