Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here maybe familiar with the communication used on the instrument cluster from an Outback Legacy BP9 (Part number: 85012AG030) .

I'm hoping to use the cluster with an arduino and control it via that for racing games :)

I'm familiar with car protocols such as can bus but having trouble actually talking to the cluster.

I can power the IC, but I don't know:
  • What CAN speed the cluster talks
  • Which pins on the i10 connector are can high, and can low (I know the pins are A21 and A22)
  • Whether I should expect to see any traffic with a CAN sniffer (e.g. candump) when turning on the IC. I thought I would and tried a few different CAN speeds...
I did manage to find the following from the 2009 Service Manual:

I don't have a Subaru or ECU to actually sniff communication, so I'm hoping the CAN IDs and messages are already somewhere online.

Anyone got some thoughts or able to help ? :)

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Paging @Ryan J. Geyer

He's worked mostly with the comms between the ECU, BIU, and cluster for the immobilizer system, but he might be able to shed some light on the CANBUS IDs.

I'm not sure how responsive the cluster will be without the immobilizer handshake (if it will respond at all to other CANBUS inputs), but it's worth a shot. You're using a CAN shield with an Arduino, I imagine?

IIRC, there was some work done in the BRZ/FRS community with CANBUS mapping, and it was determined that Subaru liked to use the same ID map across several platforms (the VA-body WRX/STI was the test subject, I believe).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ohh! Fun project.

I don't have a ton of detail about non immobilizer related comms and CAN IDs, but I can probably help with the other questions.

There is only low speed CAN going into the cluster. It communicates at 125000 bps. The wiring.. The FSM I had actually had an error, and I'm trying to interpret my notes, but I believe that A21 is CAN- and A22 is CAN+. Worse case, swap them if you don't get any CAN messages.

When you first fire it up, whether it's in an integrated system or not, it'll spew some IDs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey @RoughDiamond @Ryan J. Geyer,

Thanks for the comments :)

I'm not sure how responsive the cluster will be without the immobilizer handshake (if it will respond at all to other CANBUS inputs), but it's worth a shot.
Hmm. Yeah. I'm not sure if this is causing be grief or not, as I just can't seem to get any CAN output from the unit :-/

You're using a CAN shield with an Arduino, I imagine?
I have a CAN shield etc, but I've also got a http://canable.io which lets you use https://github.com/linux-can/can-utils to dump or send can data using standard linux commands.

The goal would be to move to the arduino once I've got a fair idea on can IDs and generating data.

I've had success with CANable with some other can bus stuff, so I'm familiar with how to use it :)

IIRC, there was some work done in the BRZ/FRS community with CANBUS mapping, and it was determined that Subaru liked to use the same ID map across several platforms (the VA-body WRX/STI was the test subject, I believe).
Yeah I'm wondering/hoping this might be the case.

The main reference I've seen to CAN IDs has been https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-analysis/can-messages/

When you first fire it up, whether it's in an integrated system or not, it'll spew some IDs.
This is the problem :-( I'm just getting nothing on the BUS.

The difficult thing I've had is whether anything else is required other than:
  • A11, A12 for GND
  • A1 for Power - 12V.
  • A3 for Ignition connected to power.
  • A21 CAN
  • A22 CAN
I see A20 is connected to ECM but I'm not sure if this would be important for anything I'm doing.

In short the IC will power up when I connect Ignition, but yeah nothing on the bus.

I've tried CAN cables both ways around, tried a number of interface speeds (but primarily trying 125kbps), and also tried with and without 120ohm termination resistor. I get nothing on the bus and am some what out of ideas :-/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts