Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a 2018 outback touring here. I understand that the built-in navigation uses SiriusXM for traffic. I think Apple Maps (through CarPlay) uses TomTom for traffic. Has anyone tested these out and found one to be better in terms of handling traffic? I live in a congested area, and I plan on using whichever option is better at navigating away from congested roads.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,814 Posts
The data available through SiriusXM's relatively bandwidth-limited system will never be as responsive as Waze or the like, but I've found it to be reasonably accurate in my region (NY metro area). However, from what I've read, the SiriusXM data may not have adequate coverage in some parts of the country, so YMMV. Additionally, for the most part, it only covers highways. Waze can typically navigate traffic far better on local roads.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
I think Android Auto/Google Maps is better than the built in navigation system from TomTom. The only advantage I see with the built in system is that you should almost always know what the speed limit is on the road you're driving on and you will not be using data.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,814 Posts
Guess I'm lucky that SiriusXM traffic works as well as it does for me, because while it's nice to have as a backup, I hate using a phone for navigation. I spent the better part of a year comparing the traffic functionality just so I would know when it's worthwhile to break out the phone.

Also lucky is that nice little console nook in the Outback where you can securely prop up your phone, without the need for some annoying mounting device. If only it had USB-C power. ;)

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited
20 Posts
The only advantage I see with the built in system is that you should almost always know what the speed limit is on the road you're driving on and you will not be using data.
The data usage from smart phone navigation is downloading the map of the local area. As long as you're not using satellite view (which makes the map harder to read in the car), the data usage is fairly low. The GPS receiver inside the smart phone is what pinpoints your location on the map, and that gets its signal from satellites. It does not use cellular data.

I, too, like Google Maps and find its traffic information to be accurate, timely, and helpful.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
I think Android Auto/Google Maps is better than the built in navigation system from TomTom. The only advantage I see with the built in system is that you should almost always know what the speed limit is on the road you're driving on and you will not be using data.
I have found that the built in nav is nice for areas without cell signal. More of an issue for some than other obviously!

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Fair warning: Garbage In, Garbage Out: if the data isn't up-to-date (and I've found a number of places I can point to in 1800 miles) then you're quite likely going to go astray. Not once did I find the data with a lower listed limit than I found, so always try to see if there is a visible sign as well as looking at your navigation.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,814 Posts
Yeah, in my 40k miles there have been countless roads where there is no speed limit shown, and quite a few where what is shown is actually incorrect (but typically within 5MPH). Not really something you can put much trust in, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl, 2019 Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2017 Impreza 2.0i CVT, 2016 WRX 6MT ST2 FF
55 Posts
I think Android Auto/Google Maps is better than the built in navigation system from TomTom. . .
And google maps is far better than apple maps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Sirius XM traffic on my work car...and it always underestimates everything. If Gmaps is showing Yellow, it's still showing green. If its DARK RED, its showing orange.

But Gmaps all day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts