Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT 5MT
496 Posts
2009 close enough to 2008?

Based on the information on this thread and an e-mail exchange with Daniel Stern (you can see it at torontosubaruclub.org), I went with the H7 Rallye+65 for low beams and HIR1 for high. In 40 years, I've driven every thing from Porsches to BMWs to 240Zs to ... well, you get the picture. This change made my 08 OB as much of a pleasure to drive at night as it is during the day.
I have a 2009 Outback here near Philadelphia. I'm guessing that the 2008 is close enough to the 2009 to take the same bulbs as the above. If so, that's what I'll get.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
377 Posts
I have a 2009 Outback here near Philadelphia. I'm guessing that the 2008 is close enough to the 2009 to take the same bulbs as the above. If so, that's what I'll get.
Yep. 05-09 has the same headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
'01 OBW 2.5/AT; '99 BMW 528i/5-spd
146 Posts
Hope no one minds if I stir up this old thread... Some months ago I bought the Narva Rangepower +50s from candlepower, for my 2001 OBW, and I have to say, I can't detect any improvement over the stock bulbs. To me they were a complete waste of money.

This thread has tons of information on these halogen choices but the 2005-2009 cars are different headlamp geometry with arguably different results for bulbs with the same product name.

I'd like to try again but am gun-shy with candlepower's offerings, so just to ask the drivers of the 2000-2004 model year Outbacks.... What works for you now? Note, I'm only asking about bulbs, not upgrade "kits" or anything of that nature. Just wanting to replace a couple of bulbs.

·
Registered
'01 OBW 2.5/AT; '99 BMW 528i/5-spd
146 Posts
Well, I bought and installed some Philips CrystalVision Ultras in my low beams (talking 2001 OB halogens here) and they were dimmer (to me) than stock. Bulb glass was blue, so I imagine that was a filter of sorts. Took them back and exchanged for the clear-bulb VisionPlus which are older tech but much brighter for my ride.

Then I decided to upgrade the high-beams as they hardly made any difference after the VisionPlus bulbs were in. Went to CandlePower and ordered the HIR 9011 bulbs (Toshiba I think) that were on sale (but not exactly cheap). These HIRs are round-globe type bulbs; don't know if that's a factor but the high-beams now focus right on top of the low-beams. This certainly adds to the overall brightness but it doesn't light things up farther down the road.

I am now officially ready for some aftermarket HIDs but seems there aren't any HID headlamp units made for this model year, just kits that fit a bulb in the existing reflector assembly, which is likely going to blind oncomers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2007 Outback Turbo Headlights Are Not Bright

I just bought some Slyviana Silverstar at the recommendation of Canadian Tire only to come home and read this thread. Now I am second guessing my purchase.

The stock lights are extremely poor and I am looking to change them.

Shiuld I just look for a HID solution? Or, are there some bulbs that will truly make a difference?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
99 AUS Outback
51 Posts
What is the highest wattage H1 people have used in the high beams for a 00-04 Outback without melting anything?

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
1,266 Posts
I just bought some Slyviana Silverstar at the recommendation of Canadian Tire only to come home and read this thread. Now I am second guessing my purchase.

Shiuld I just look for a HID solution? Or, are there some bulbs that will truly make a difference?

Thanks in advance
Search, Search, Search... Not trying to be an A** but there are dozens of threads about this on this board as well as LegacyGT.com. You will find plenty of people who have done HID 'conversions' (Really just HID bulb's in the factory projector housing), and plenty of people who swear its awesome with no side effects...

You also have industry experts like the above mentioned Daniel Stern that advise highly against it (and if you are the type that cares, it is technically illegal to do), and even some subjective threads from owners that have done back-to-back comparisons of upgraded halogen bulbs to HID 'Conversions'. Personally I think there is an increase in direct foreground illumination, that in combination with the 'want' to be happy with their HID upgrade lulls the owner/driver into thinking that they have truly upgraded their lighting, but IMHO the reality is that they have degraded their lighting, because increasing direct foreground lighting reduces your visual acuity and ability to see far enough out to be driving safely in the dark...

Here is some more reading for you, but there is even more out there if you search around..

Lighting????

Headlight Bulb - your favorite?

all you ever needed to know about 08 OB lighting, courtesy of Daniel Stern

Hope that is of some help to you.. :29:

·
Registered
99 AUS Outback
51 Posts
Looking at the wiring yes it doesn't look like you would think it be up to 155watt (as the combined total of the 55low and 100watt extra power highbeam). But the fuses for both sides are 15amp each, which is good for 200watt + for each side. So the wiring should handle the 100watt highbeam no worries, otherwise Subaru would have issues with headlight wiring fires if the wires aren't up to what they are fused at.
The other problems however are obviously heat, and also voltage drop with the extra current draw which might end up making the 35watt extra highbeam power all but useless.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, 2010 MB R350 Diesel, 1991 Toyota MR2 | suspension & braking enthusiast
660 Posts
What bulbs to use?

This link is quite handy to determine exactly which bulbs go on your car as it is more detailed than what is in the owners manual:
OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start

For example:

2003 SUBARU Outback (Wagon)

Low beam headlamp
H1
H1ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H1XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

High beam headlamp
9005SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
9005ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
9005XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
9005CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
1157A
1157ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
1156A
1156ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
1157A
1157ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal
7440ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7440LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
1157ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
1157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light
1157ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
1157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

High mount stop light
912LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Fog/Driving light
9006SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
9006ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
9006EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
9006XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
9006CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

License plate
168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light
1156ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
1156LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker
1157A

Map light
DE3175
DE3175LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Dome light
DE3175
DE3175LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Step/Courtesy light
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
DE3021
DE3021LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Trunk/Cargo area
912LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

2005 SUBARU Outback (Wagon)

Low beam headlamp
H7
H7SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H7ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
H7XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
H7CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

High beam headlamp
9005SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
9005ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
9005XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
9005CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
3157A
3157NALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
3157A
3157NALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal
7440ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7440LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
7443ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7443LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light
7443ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7443LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Fog/Driving light
9006SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
9006ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
9006EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
9006XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
9006CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

License plate
168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light
921ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
921LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker
3157A

Rear sidemarker

Ash tray
74LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Map light
DE3175

Dome light
DE3175

Step/Courtesy light
DE3021
DE3021LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Trunk/Cargo area

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
614 Posts
I installed a set of Xenon Depot (KB Car Stuff of Canada) Xtreme HID lamps with Genuine Philips 4300 deg. K capsules in my '09 Impreza's projectors. The change in light output was simply amazing, even having used modified H9 halogens in place of the factory H11 bulbs prior to the upgrade. In the five months the HIDs were in use, I never got "flashed" by any driver of any oncoming vehicles and the glare was no worse than that produced by the stock halogen bulbs.

That being said, I am a true believer in using HIDs in projectors having a sharp cut-off or doing a retrofit if you want to use HIDs in a reflector application. There are a few good retrofit ideas out there; the Acura TL/TSX series projectors seem to be really popular. Morettes seem to be popular, but I've read about some issues people have had with them which seems to placed them a bit lower on the preference scale with the Acura projectors.

I am looking forward to making the modification to my Outback as time and $$$ allows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Daniel Stern

I bought the lowbeam Daniel Stern recommendation for my 2007 Turbo Outback. This has proved to be a superb upgrade. I find that the lowbeam now provides almost as much light as the stock highbeam. The car has gone from being dangerous on the highway in night driving due to poor visibility to a pleasure to drive.

I am now thinking about upgrading the highbeam bulbs to Daniel's recommendation as well.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
48 Posts

Thanks in advance
Silverstars are crap. I put them in my wife's Escape and if I didn't love her and had more life insurance on her, I would have left them in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just installed the high beam bulbs that Daniel Stern recommended for my 2007 outback XT. It took about 10 minutes to install them; including the time to file down the tab. The difference is remarkable. Well worth the time and cost.

I would highly recommend changing both low and high beam bulbs as recommended by Daniel Stern.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited
68 Posts
I have purchased four bulbs from him to replace my OEM bulbs. I switched to the Narva +50 bulbs for my low beams and they are much better than the original bulbs. He is right however when he says that these are poorly designed lenses, and all we do is make do and improve the bulbs.

I switched to the new 9011 HIR bulbs for the high beams and wow, what a difference! My high beams are now acceptable whereas before they were completely useless. I highly recommend to anyone with a 2000-04 Outback to switch to these bulbs to get safe performance out of your high beams.

PL
Can you share some pics of your new lights?
I just bought a pair of those blue colored bulbs (H1)yesterday:mad:. And now I read this thread... to late for me.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I did the 9011 conversion, and it is pretty easy stuff. Using the template provided in the first post via link, measuring 8mm from the left of the tab, works like magic on the first try. Its made easy by something not obvious - you just need to make the tab right edge a straight up vertical line when the bulb is held with the plug socket straight down, and the radius of the cutaway just matches the body of the bulb base beyond the front of the tab. My basic electric 'Dremel' type rotary tool with a simple burr bit did the job in about 15-20 seconds, including the bulk cut and touch up. The difference is is significant although not too dramatic. Definite improvement in brightness and overall reach of the beams.

The lens is definitely a limiting factor. Those crystal clear lenses may look neat and all, but they don't direct the light as well as a good Fresnel lens does. With my increased luminosity, I notice that highly reflective items show up better and farther ahead (line paint, signs, deer's eyes), but without the focus of a proper lens the longer distance illumination diminishes in a distinctly linear rate.

·
Registered
"Tank" - 2011 OB 3.6R w/ Nav & Moonroof in Graphite Grey
872 Posts
I changed all four bulbs to the ones in my sig per his recommendation. Trimming the highs was easy- a few clips with a toe nail clipper and you are good to go. Huge difference!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
216 Posts
Quick question that some may be able to answer. My outback is a 2000 model that a Japanese import. It has OME HID headlights. Great lovely white light from the normal beams, but when you turn the high beams on its almost no change?

I checked the headlights themselves tonight and the high beam bulbs are just standard H1 55w globes. Obviously i want to swap high beam bulbs out to something that gives me a bit more light on dark country lanes. I’m keen to fit a set of Narva rangepower50+ bulbs but been a county town they may be hard to source.

Has anyone upgrades the high beam bulbs to 100w versions? I just want to be sure that if i swap them over to higher wattage bulbs that it doesn’t do any damage the headlights or the HID bulbs just above them?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT 5MT
496 Posts
Would this best be asked as a new question?

BTW: I'm looking forward to the World Cup, but I doubt I'll see any of them live from here...

·
Registered
2005 3.0R VDC Limited Wagon
170 Posts
i'm way late to the party here, but for people still searching:

copying some previous posters, i bought the rallye 65w bulbs. they came w/in 2 days in the mail, look great. i'm happy as can be.

(and i turned off the DRLs)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts