Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Gryffinwings!
I was just starting a search for info on how to improve the weak low beam performance. My (new to me) 2011 didn't come with foglights. I'd gotten used to the excellent night driving light they provided on my previous, a 2004.
I want to add fogs to this one but, so far most options I've found are too costly right now. This info may help enough to let me postpone the upgrade.

·
Registered
2000 outback 2004 outback 2012 Outback 2002 Tacoma
22 Posts
To the OP This is good info I've got an 04 OB and I'll definately be switching it up when the time comes. My 04 is my secondary car my primary (wife's car) is a 2012 OB and it seems to eat bulbs on all four corners. I'll try to apply some of this info to it very shortly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there a high output (higher than 55 watt) replacement for the H-11 bulb? My 09 Impreza has TERRIBLE low beam lights but great high beams. I added the factory driving lights(still need to fine tune the aiming) but it really has not helped very much.

·
Registered
04 Outback H6
230 Posts
For H11 bulbs, look into the H9 to H11 conversion. It's a matter of cutting one of the internal tab/notches. I've done it for my wife's van and it's a significant improvement over the H11 bulbs. (with the caveat that they will burn out faster, but they can be bought cheap)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did the H9 convesion. It helped a LOT. But, while I had the headlight assemblies out, I did a wee bit of experimentation. I took the low beam bulb mount out, then removed the "light restricter" (for lack of a better term) on the low beam side, and trimmed it down quite a bit(made the opening larger to allow more light out) on the passenger side headlight only. Between the H9 conversion and my modification, I now have GREAT low beams that do not seem to bother oncoming traffic. High beams have always been great on this car.
I plan on doing the same modification on the drivers side, and when I do, I promise to take pictures and put them up for all to see.I wish I had taken pictures of what the beams looked like on the road before I had started. These were some of the WORST low beam lights I have ever seen on a car.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium (Group 11)
14 Posts
Thanks for the bulb information. I personally love the look of LEDs on accessory lights (not headlights or high beams) and this will be helpful in ordering the right bulbs.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,021 Posts
I can vouch for the HIR bulb upgrade. The brand was Vosla. Got them from Candlepower. They are about as bright as the Osram Rally overwatt but don't burn out after a couple months.
Regular beams went from "Cripes! These are horrible" to "These are actually not bad" There is some slight filing to the plastic bulb ears to make them fit.
If I need to replace any bulbs in the future, I will use the HIR bulbs again. They have a normal color of around 4200 Kelvin. Very functional on wet pavement.
Brightness with longevity.
Even though I do miss my HID retrofit from my old Legacy, after JDM housings, FX-R Projectors, Clear lens upgrade and Osram CBI bulbs, that setup was over $500.

Reactions: CarlDufault

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, 2nd Generation
14 Posts
BULB Information Please Sticky

Hi everyone, I thought this email that I recieved would benefit a lot of people information wise on bulb upgrades for the Outback, mainly the 2000-2004 models, but essentially the information can be used for other years I'm sure, but if anyone else wants to contribute for the other years that would be great. This is the email from Daniel Stern from Daniel Stern Lighting, and gave me a wealth of info on lighting. This email is posted word for word, nothing changed from my email.
Thank you so much for this information. Exactly the information that I've been looking for.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts