Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to turn my XT into a battlewagon. I think a bull bar is a fun place to start. I found a used westin GM bull bar on my local craigslist but I have not foggiest on how I would get it on my car. I am not a welder and do not have access to fabrication.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'd love to turn my XT into a battlewagon. I think a bull bar is a fun place to start. I found a used westin GM bull bar on my local craigslist but I have not foggiest on how I would get it on my car. I am not a welder and do not have access to fabrication.
**** the torpedos, full speed ahead!

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
I have not foggiest on how I would get it on my car. I am not a welder and do not have access to fabrication.
Then it's probably not likely you'll be successful in mounting something designed for a GM on your Subaru.

Couple of companies make them but in my opinion they're largely cosmetic. I don't think it would help you much for pushing bulls around.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
314 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Legacy Outback Classic 4 Cylinder
200 Posts
Where and how does that bar actually mount? How easy would it be to push it back into the bumper?

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Looks like it mounts to the tow hooks at the front and the subframe at the rear, and I'd say "pretty easy". If they tied it to the bumper beam at the top it would be a massive improvement to its rigidity but would require cutting the bumper.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Depending on material used, those things are quite heavy and may be not suitable for a "small" car, like Subaru. Some, that are made from aircraft light alloys may be quite expensive....

·
Premium Member
2000 Legacy Outback Classic 4 Cylinder
200 Posts
Looks like it mounts to the tow hooks at the front and the subframe at the rear, and I'd say "pretty easy". If they tied it to the bumper beam at the top it would be a massive improvement to its rigidity but would require cutting the bumper.
I would agree with pretty easy. I like the simple design but it looks like 1" or less pipe. I can see pushing that into something whereas 2" would take a hit and have a dent as evidence. 2" inch would begin encroaching on your ground clearance, how're. Ground clearance has saved me more than once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
image.jpg

I have a rally innovations light bar on mine, not overly sturdy but it did survive a deer hit last weekend

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,770 Posts
The one that makes sense is the SubaXtreme. Yes, it is Aussie-made but they have a US distribution center so one pays US shipping.

The price, however, is the ballpark of 2,000.

It is a high-quality product made, I think, to comply with strict Australian regulations, thus there should be no safety downgrade from stock. It increases AA by about 5 degrees, which a a massive change.

Personally, I do not care for bull bars, but I wish I could afford the front bumper replacement part of it.

·
Registered
2008 OBXT Ltd 5MT
492 Posts
View attachment 158209

I have a rally innovations light bar on mine, not overly sturdy but it did survive a deer hit last weekend
@95stepside Are they supported at the license bracket at all, or only by the cross-strap underneath? I'm wondering how much they vibrate and bounce around, making the light all jittery. Are there mounts further apart on the top bar? The photo I saw of the RI bar on a Gen 4 had the top lights much further apart.

Gorilla Offroad's bar looks much sturdier, but at a much heftier price for what I'd want it for.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Where and how does that bar actually mount? How easy would it be to push it back into the bumper?
Front tie down hooks, sway bar mount, and center jack plate. Installation is pretty easy, about 30 to 45 min. As is the bar is plenty sturdy and is bolt on, bolt off so easy enough to return to stock without irreversible cutting.

Depending on material used, those things are quite heavy and may be not suitable for a "small" car, like Subaru. Some, that are made from aircraft light alloys may be quite expensive....
These are made from 1.25 0.083 wall chromoly tubing and with a skid plate weights 45 lbs.

@95stepside...Gorilla Offroad's bar looks much sturdier, but at a much heftier price for what I'd want it for.
True, it is a little more money but you do get alot more functionality - stable light platform / usable d-ring tabs / front end chassis brace.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,983 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Have you used the winch for recovery?
That's my 07 Outback on the right helping a Ford Fiesta out of a little mess. I've also pulled a Bobcat and a Ford F150 off plowed snow embankments after each got themselves stuck this past winter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts