Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone out there get the Bumper Bully to work with the Outback's rear lift gate? I have a 2016 and the gate's sensors won't close with the straps in place. I bought the Bumper Bully Platinum Edition that has the soft padding to protect against dings also.

Really wish I didn't need such a device when I must leave the car on the street, but given the number of people in this town with less-than-stellar parallel parking skills, it really would have been nice for this thing to work! I tried adjusting the straps several different ways and didn't have any luck. If anyone out there has a solution for how to get the gate to close, please share your wisdom! Or, if you have any other rear bumper protection ideas, I'm all ears. I liked the idea of throwing this think in the cargo area when driving and not in use. Not as eager to pursue more permanent alterations to the vehicle.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Never heard of a Bumper Bully before and had to look it up. I must say, IMO, that thing is uglier than a scuffed up dented bumper!
We use to call them targets in SF. The folks we saw that had them were sorta the adult version of the overly sensitive kid in school that would cry at the drop of a hat. LOL They usually ended up broken with lots of vehicle damage after being left on the street in our parallel parking which is like 90% of our parking in SF.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never heard of a Bumper Bully before and had to look it up. I must say, IMO, that thing is uglier than a scuffed up dented bumper!
Funny can't find it, but I previously read every post on this forum about bumper protection, and I would swear this post with this exact verbiage was used elsewhere. I recall that the original poster's response to it was the same as mine is now: as I noted in the original post, it's not a device you leave on the car. Obvs. When you drive, it goes in the trunk. Permanently altering a car would be the "ugly" thing to do.

To the person that mentioned a hitch: No, I'm not interested in a hitch. They're very dangerous in an accident because of the way force is transferred to the occupants. Give me a scratched bumper any day over being paralyzed from the neck down!

Looking for a temporary solution. Again, I bought the Platinum-Edition Bumper Bully. Anyone buy the Gold or Black editions? Maybe the straps are thinner on those models?

·
Super Moderator
25,196 Posts
We use to call them targets in SF. The folks we saw that had them were sorta the adult version of the overly sensitive kid in school that would cry at the drop of a hat. LOL They usually ended up broken with lots of vehicle damage after being left on the street in our parallel parking which is like 90% of our parking in SF.
like all cars parked in manhattan NYC have something like that on the rear, and some on the front too. I guess they work, or they are covering the dents that happened before or after the thing was put on.

even the ones that spend most of the time in the big self park / valet garages, I think see some benefit, as you can cram you car right against the wall, or the valets can cram them front to back and touching when they need a extra inch to squeeze a big pig Escalade by.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To bring us back on target, I'm hoping someone can give me specific info on non-hitch products that can be stuffed in the trunk 99% of the time and then placed on the bumper during parallel parking, and then removed and thrown back in the trunk again when one drives off. Has to work with the 2016 power rear lift gate, and clearly, the Bumper Bully Platinum Edition does not because the straps are too thick and trigger the sensors from closing. (Gate starts to close but then opens again when it gets all the way to the bottom where it detects the straps as an obstacle.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe he should put one of these in his hitch mount if he's ever in SF then... (Yeah, I'm no artist)

·
Registered
354 Posts
To bring us back on target, I'm hoping someone can give me specific info on non-hitch products that can be stuffed in the trunk 99% of the time and then placed on the bumper during parallel parking, and then removed and thrown back in the trunk again when one drives off. Has to work with the 2016 power rear lift gate, and clearly, the Bumper Bully Platinum Edition does not because the straps are too thick and trigger the sensors from closing. (Gate starts to close but then opens again when it gets all the way to the bottom where it detects the straps as an obstacle.)
How about a big piece of stiff foam rubber (or similar) and a roll of easy-off duct tape? I can't image what would work better and would be cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You know, the hitch option comes on and off with a simple pin attachment. I would think it would be just as easy to slide the hitch bumper in and out as opening the hatch, flipping out the bumper buddy and closing the hatch each time you park. That way, it wouldn't be an issue with getting rear ended during normal driving. Only on when you are parked. It's the only option I see that would not be in the way of the sensors at all. Otherwise, I guess just buy every bumper pad on the market and keep trying them out until you find one that doesn't interfere with the sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just bought a 2019 Limited with the power lift gate. We also bought a Bumper Bully Gold Edition for bumper protection since we need to parallel parking on our street in urban DC. The drivers here are complete jackasses and will bump their way out of parking spots (I’ve seen it many times!!!)

Unfortunately, the power lift gate will not close with the Bumper Bully installed. The straps on the Bumper Bully trigger the power lift gate sensors and the door will automatically reopen after attempting to close.

Anyone know how to solve this issue? Are folks using a different product with thinner straps? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
We just bought a 2019 Limited with the power lift gate. We also bought a Bumper Bully Gold Edition for bumper protection since we need to parallel parking on our street in urban DC. The drivers here are complete jackasses and will bump their way out of parking spots (I’ve seen it many times!!!)

Unfortunately, the power lift gate will not close with the Bumper Bully installed. The straps on the Bumper Bully trigger the power lift gate sensors and the door will automatically reopen after attempting to close.

Anyone know how to solve this issue? Are folks using a different product with thinner straps? Thanks!
I have a 2019 Premium and am using a Bumper Badger Classic without any problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2019 Premium and am using a Bumper Badger Classic without any problems.
And you can use the power lift gate without any issues? Or are you manually opening/closing the rear door?

Thanks for writing - I will look up the classic version!

·
Registered
759 Posts
<sigh>
whatever happened to chromed steel bumpers that would shrug off light taps and nudges from parallel parking?
That's when a bumper was a "bumper" and not a porcelain vase.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe just "assist" the lift gate to close when it is about to latch. Push on it during the last second?

Another idea is to take some thinner straps from something else like a duffel bag or tie-down straps and attach it to the bumper buddy?

·
Registered
13 Posts
And you can use the power lift gate without any issues? Or are you manually opening/closing the rear door?

Thanks for writing - I will look up the classic version!
You're welcome! No problems using power lift gate - but I do try to make sure the straps are as flat as possible, and nothing is bunching up. I can provide pictures if you'd like.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
metroflex
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing