Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're welcome! No problems using power lift gate - but I do try to make sure the straps are as flat as possible, and nothing is bunching up. I can provide pictures if you'd like.
Yes, I’d love to see photos, if you have time to upload.

The Bumper Bully Gold straps were quite thick with foam padding and a reinforced steel strip inside the webbing (to protect against theft of the Bumper Bully by cutting the straps). I’m guessing this interfered with the safety sensors, as it interpreted the thick straps as a foreign object.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I’d love to see photos, if you have time to upload.

The Bumper Bully Gold straps were quite thick with foam padding and a reinforced steel strip inside the webbing (to protect against theft of the Bumper Bully by cutting the straps). I’m guessing this interfered with the safety sensors, as it interpreted the thick straps as a foreign object.
Here you go, sorry for the poor lighting, hopefully they give you an idea of how it looks:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I get the thought behind these but back when I was working in body shops most of the damage I ever saw from parking incidents was on the corners of the bumpers from people misjudging distance backing in or just trying to park in a spot that was too small. I'm sure these prevent damage to the center of the bumper but this type leaves the most vulnerable corners wide open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get the thought behind these but back when I was working in body shops most of the damage I ever saw from parking incidents was on the corners of the bumpers from people misjudging distance backing in or just trying to park in a spot that was too small. I'm sure these prevent damage to the center of the bumper but this type leaves the most vulnerable corners wide open.
Parallel parking in any metro area where street parking is scarce and at a premium, the entirety of the bumper is fair game - doubly so if it's a hoopty that's parked in the front or back of your car. Bumper covers won't prevent all damage, but will mitigate some. Agreed, the corners are still vulnerable, but still better to have some protection, than none.

If I am being honest, those do more harm than good. They rub against the bumper and cause paint damage. On top of that, it looks fugly.
Rubber might cause some scratching but nothing like the chipping and cracking that bumper to bumper damage does to paint which is far more expensive to fix. Aesthetics aside, the main objective is to prevent/minimize damage, not win beauty pageants. My Maxima's rear bumper was full of dings and chipping due "love taps" from bumper on bumper damage.

If anything, a bumper cover would probably give the other driver's who are parking behind your car a false sense of security as they would be less inclined to be more careful when parallel parking.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wow... I've never seen this product in person. I would totally rather have a ding. It almost seems that this would invite someone to bump into your car because it's "protected".

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're welcome! Good luck, hopefully the Bumper Badger works out!
Circling back on this: the classic Bumper Badger totally works! No issues with the rear lift gate operation, as the straps are thinning than similar products (eg, Bumper Bully Gold).

My wife is very pleased with the protection on her new car. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Circling back on this: the classic Bumper Badger totally works! No issues with the rear lift gate operation, as the straps are thinning than similar products (eg, Bumper Bully Gold).

My wife is very pleased with the protection on her new car. Thanks again! :)
Thanks for the follow up, glad to hear it worked out! Cheers!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
metroflex
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing