Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'18 station wagon
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can I glue this down or do I need to remove the whole pad and retape it?

Any recommendations for glue/tape? TIA!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,529 Posts
Thread here:

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,935 Posts
Remove. Clean. And use 3m automotive double sided strips. Sadly I’ve had to have mine reinstalled a dozen times starting on day one on my ‘18 Outback.
Yep...that 3M tape is great stuff...you can stick sh!t to ice cubes with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
VHB in particular is the 3M tape you’d want to use. There’s a foam variant as well as a thinner celo tape style variant. I’ve used that on led ribbon that would warm up enough to release the adhesive of lesser tapes, and the foam variant for attaching solid surfaces, rougher surfaces, mirror caps, all sorts of stuff. It’s probably what was originally used. Dig out what you can, wipe the surface clean with an alcohol wipe, then slide the VHB In there

edit, you can get small rolls on Amazon, and McMaster has it as well but I’ve only ever looked for larger rolls there

·
Registered
'18 OB Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
11 Posts
Remove. Clean. And use 3m automotive double sided strips. Sadly I’ve had to have mine reinstalled a dozen times starting on day one on my ‘18 Outback.
Any idea what's causing yours to come off? Do you live in extremely hot area? I also have an 18 3.6 touring and haven't had any issues.

The 3M VHB tape is ridiculously strong - essentially permanent.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,935 Posts
It may have put on without properly cleaning the surface first. Over time that little bit of dirt has made it let go...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts