Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a set of paint matched bumper plugs for a 2013 Twlight Blue Metallic? The car came with a front license plate holder which I do not need.

Most of the sites that sell plugs don't have the new 2013 colors yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
314 Posts
I didn't even know there were companies that sold pre-painted plugs! On my old 02 WRX, I bought appropriately sized plastic clips from Lowes and then primed and painted them using touch-up paint. Looked great (much better than the big holes in the old Impreza bumper)

I am surprised the dealer drilled the bumper if your state doesn't require a front plate - they don't drill the bumpers here in NM (they didn't drill my WRX, either - it had two big holes which were for a plate holder or something like that which wasn't even available here (they didn't match the plates here) - weird)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a set of paint matched bumper plugs for a 2013 Twlight Blue Metallic? The car came with a front license plate holder which I do not need.

Most of the sites that sell plugs don't have the new 2013 colors yet.

Thanks!
I think black plastic plugs (that are commonly used for panels or upholstery) from PepBoys or similar would look just fine.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car was a dealer trade from Ohio. Indiana does not require front plates but Ohio does.

The standard black plugs that you can find at home improvement or auto parts stores will be my second option.

Bumperplugs.com already emailed me back and wanted to confirm the paint code so it sounds promising!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I have the same problem bought in Ohio and before I could tell them to not do that they slapped a frame on it. Florida doesn't require a front plate either. I bought Twight Blue touch up paint and will just trim the holes and use the plugs once I paint them with the touch up paint.
The Bumperplug place seems really high in price for 2 plugs that should cost a $1.00.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My local hardware store had a couple of plastic plugs that fit the holes.
I hit each with a dab of touchup paint..

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
I have the same problem bought in Ohio and before I could tell them to not do that they slapped a frame on it. Florida doesn't require a front plate either. I bought Twight Blue touch up paint and will just trim the holes and use the plugs once I paint them with the touch up paint.
The Bumperplug place seems really high in price for 2 plugs that should cost a $1.00.
Definitely true, bumperplugs.com is the expensive route to go BUT they do offer a really high quality product and excellent color-matching. I had them provide plugs for Phoenix Yellow Metallic and it was spot on.

If you already have the touch-up paint for your Outback, buying plugs and painting them is probably easiest. But if you don't, bumperplugs could end up being about the same.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Those look great. I have touchup paint...can you be more specific about what plugs you bought? Store/sku/whatever?
Just go to any Lowes, Home Depot, Ace or whatever and look in those pull out drawers in the screw and fastener area. I think mine were 7mm plugs. Just bring a license plate screw with you and match the plug to the size of the screw.
All it is is a black plastic push pin..stays on the bumper with an interference fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts