Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 6 speed, AWP, Deep indigo and 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate (old school wagon) 2015 Outback 3.6R, Venetian Red, moonroof, keyless and navi, 2006 Lincoln Town Car Designer
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Newbie to this forum...love it so far! So I've had my 2013 Outback Premium 6 speed for a few months and love it! I just ordered the front bumper underguard and rear bumper underguards (my mom's brilliant brown SAP has them) and I like the look on hers. Now I'm debating the front one. I'm 100% sold on having the rear one installed. What do you guys think? Install the front or too (for balance) or leave it as is. Look forward to hearing what your opinions are! I have until Thursday to decide!:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know I wanted the one for my 08 OB and then found out all they are is hard plastic,not worth the $90 or so for just the front. Unless your doing some off roading,chances you will never hit anything with 8+ inches of clearance. And if you by chance did hit say a parking spot stop it would probably crack it or scrape it real good. Its really an appearance thing vs true protection.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 6 speed, AWP, Deep indigo and 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate (old school wagon) 2015 Outback 3.6R, Venetian Red, moonroof, keyless and navi, 2006 Lincoln Town Car Designer
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I wanted the one for my 08 OB and then found out all they are is hard plastic,not worth the $90 or so for just the front. Unless your doing some off roading,chances you will never hit anything with 8+ inches of clearance. And if you by chance did hit say a parking spot stop it would probably crack it or scrape it real good. Its really an appearance thing vs true protection.
Good point....

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a light bar with a skid guard on mine,its a rally innovations bar and skid guard retro fitted for a toyota tundra skid guard. I have not seen any other makers of bull/knudge bars but then for newer models there possibly might be.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have both. They are for looks only. Neither is robust enough to "guard" against much of anything. Purely an aesthetic decision. I like them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought both ends without blinking twice - just look dang cool.
I agree. I definitely think the rear looks cool, and I know they really don't offer any "protection". Still on the fence about the front. My car is deep indigo blue so I think the silver will look good..maybe I should go to a dealer and check some out!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Looks good but not sure why is it called "underguard"... it's strictly a cosmetic feature...just my opinion! It came with my car but I would not add it, if it did not...

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
I would say no to both of them!:28:

If my car had come with them, I would have painted them black, as I did with my grille and fog surrounds.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I added the back one to my limited because I thought it looked unbalanced, plus nobody seems to have the back one.

There sure are a lot of Batman lovers on this forum, paint it black! whatever...

I see a silver part and I want to paint it black...
No fog surrounds for me I want them painted black...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
Mine came with both installed. I think the color doesn't match so I'll be plastidipping them black real soon!

NinjaTurtle2.5 I'm a huge batman fan! HAHA Only reason why I didn't get a black OB was the amount of dirt that color shows. I used to drive a black 300zx in high school and could never keep it clean.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
Hey Satellite - can you post a pic of your '12 front end with painted grill and fog surrounds?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Not a fan of how the front or rear bumperguards look, too much contrast between the black plastic body panels and whatever color your OB is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm going to the dealer on Thursday to have the tires rotated a liftgate rattle checked out, and unless I change my mind having both front and rear underguards installed. Fingers crossed they look cool! If not, paint 'em black!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
They are only caps put over the plastic bumper cover. All for show and won't do a thing for durability. You would get more for your money putting the diff cover on the rear diff.

·
Registered
303 Posts
They are only caps put over the plastic bumper cover. All for show and won't do a thing for durability. You would get more for your money putting the diff cover on the rear diff.

Exactly for the price of the rear one..you can get a rear diff skid plate from Primitive for same price or less.
Primitive Racing Performance Parts
I would be more inclined like others on here to protect your bottom vs the bumpers.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Mine came with the front underguard standard. The style is part of that chunky, rugged, outdoor SUV look that was trendy a few years ago.
The European Outback looks better without this cladding. I read somewhere the rear one will be in the way of a hitch.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
...hmmm...cheap plastic bumper underguard vs a steel skid plate....that's a no brainer to me. :29:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I really like the way the rear guard looks, sort of gives the car a more hunkered down or more expensive revere. The front however looks goofy and out of place, but I have the 2011 so perhaps the 2013 front guard looks better?

Also the front one on my wifes 2011 is completely peppered and chipped up from 27K highway commuter miles. We have the clear bra, but it's only on the "painted" areas above the black textured zones. If you get a front guard, you may want to get some clear bra material for it or it will like terrible in two years and 30K miles of driving useage.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Mine came with the front underguard standard. The style is part of that chunky, rugged, outdoor SUV look that was trendy a few years ago.
The European Outback looks better without this cladding. I read somewhere the rear one will be in the way of a hitch.
I saw a 2013 with a rear guard and hitch mounted. Looked like the owner dremeled out the square for the hitch to pass through. It didn't look like it would take too much skill to cut that area clean so it would work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts