Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm a little disappointed my my 2011 Outback. I've now detected twice in oil changes that she is burning oil. This last time it looks like about a quart down (from oil being at the high tick mark, to the oil now being at the low tick mark on the dip stick) over the course of 6000 miles.

These 6000 miles included a 2200 mile round trip from Southern Maryland our to Kansas City Mo. and then Branson and back over the mountains of West Virginia and a lot of high speed (75) driving.

I've been changing the oil myself and have been noting the oil burn off. I've been putting in Dino Oil and am now switching to a Synthetic to see if that makes any difference.

My understand from searching the forums is that the manual states that up to a quart per 1000 miles is allowed under the warrenty.

I have the 3.6 engine.

I think this is really not very acceptable. Right now I have a 2003 Toyota Tunda with the 4.7 engine at 165K miles and it doesn't burn a lick of oil. Frankly, I expected better then this from Subaru.:28:

Larry

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
How many miles do you have on it? It is possible that you are losing that small an amount to a minor leak, or to a less than perfect PCV valve. Take the under engine cover off, and look for oil in the matting. Then, try a new PCV valve. Other than that, lots of motors use a quart in 6k miles. Just put in a half quart at 3k and call it good.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,328 Posts
probably a lot of cars would be down a qt. in 6000 miles. You might consider having the PCV system checked or cleaned.

A coworker's 01 Tundra threw a rod at 135K. doesn't make all Toyota's unacceptable.

EDIT; missed it by one minute! lol!

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
A lot of 3.6 owners have reported a leaking cover on the front. I'm drawing a blank but its a problem in assembly where they don't set the gasket correctly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight on leaking oil through the pvc. I'll pull the engine cover off and take a look. I seriously doubt that it's a gasket or pvc or leak of any kind, as I garage my Outback and there's no hint of oil leaking out of the car on the garage floor.

Larry

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Did you break in your engine? I neglected to do that on one of my past vehicles and it always needed a quart about 5k miles after an oil change. I've observed break in rules on every car since and haven't had that problem.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
1 quart for 6000 miles will not trigger any type of concern from Subaru or any other auto maker by the way. Also the dipstick is horribly inaccurate the only way to really know what your burning or loosing is knowing exactly what went in and what came out.

My VW burns about 3quarts every 6000 miles by the way. My v8 toyota with 64K on it burns about 2-3 quarts every 6000 miles also.

Oil type can also play a little bit of a role in this also. What oil are you running?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been putting in name brand dino oil, the previous 2 were Penzoil but just for the last oil change at 15000 I switched to Valvoline (it was on sale). I'm now switching to Synthetic (Mobil 1).

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
1 quart for 6000 miles will not trigger any type of concern from Subaru or any other auto maker by the way. Also the dipstick is horribly inaccurate the only way to really know what your burning or loosing is knowing exactly what went in and what came out.

My VW burns about 3quarts every 6000 miles by the way. My v8 toyota with 64K on it burns about 2-3 quarts every 6000 miles also.

Oil type can also play a little bit of a role in this also. What oil are you running?
I think GM sets the bar at 1000 miles per qt as being their "normal"
I would not worry about 1 qt. in 6k miles - that is quite good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts