Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.5 touring Outback & 2016 2.5 limited Outback
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2016 2.5 that I traded in back in August due to oil consumption. I had taken it in for them to do a compression test but was refused saying it was pcv valve and could not replicate. I had it in 4 separate times. Signs were smoke out the exhaust upon startup every once in a while and low oil upon checking oil. 1- 1.5 qts every 1200 miles. Finally on the fifth time in I was told I would need a new short block but because I was 2k miles over the 60k miles I would have some out of pocket expense. I was livid at that and traded it in. I inherited my wife’s 2019 2.5 Outback touring. Now I worried the same thing is going to happen. I did have a puff of smoke out the exhaust the other day after the car sat about 1 min after I got home from a 40 min drive home from work. I keep checking the oil. It is a mm above the top hole on dipstick. Am I losing it? I can not believe I would have 2 separate outbacks with same issue. There is no way right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen too many opinions on what the dipstick level should read and when one should read the level - My private Mechanic recons the level should be above the top hole and checked about 5 mins after stopping the engine but I'm not sure that this is correct. The dipstick indication on the gen 5, 2.5l engine is just awful and you are likely chasing your tail trying to read the dipstick to gauge oil consumption.

I'm tempted to drain and replace the oil in a more scientific manner, measuring the drained oil volume and using the specified amount of oil a few times in the same controlled conditions to see if the engine is consuming oil. This sounds tedious but will give more accurate data.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had a 2016 2.5 that I traded in back in August due to oil consumption. I had taken it in for them to do a compression test but was refused saying it was pcv valve and could not replicate. I had it in 4 separate times. Signs were smoke out the exhaust upon startup every once in a while and low oil upon checking oil. 1- 1.5 qts every 1200 miles. Finally on the fifth time in I was told I would need a new short block but because I was 2k miles over the 60k miles I would have some out of pocket expense. I was livid at that and traded it in. I inherited my wife’s 2019 2.5 Outback touring. Now I worried the same thing is going to happen. I did have a puff of smoke out the exhaust the other day after the car sat about 1 min after I got home from a 40 min drive home from work. I keep checking the oil. It is a mm above the top hole on dipstick. Am I losing it? I can not believe I would have 2 separate outbacks with same issue. There is no way right?
SOA issue a TSB to repair....shouldn’t cost anything out of pocket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 2.5 in my '16 Limited with 53K miles and I have no oil consumption at all! At least it doesn't seem that way... But I did notice that when I changed oil last October, even after letting it drain for 15-20 minutes with the dipstick out and the (old) filter removed, I put in 4.5 quarts, closed everything up, started and ran the car for a couple minutes, waited an hour, then checked the dipstick. It showed slightly above high mark! And it still does as of a week ago...

As a side note, one thing I have done for years-and it's very easy to do now on the 2.5, is to change just the filter every two months or so between oil changes for a little more protection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was also concerned about oil consumption in my 2019 outback..... had the oil changed at 1500 miles after break in. I"m now on my third oil change and tho it creeps a bit down during the 6000 mile changes, I'm not concerned about it right now. We'll see what happens at 50k .

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
226 Posts
I"ve read multiple times in this forum that the old problem with 2.5i oil consumption was fixed. I"m about due for my first oil change and I've lost none or very little during break-in.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
349 Posts
Dipsticks can vary slightly, as there's no absolute calibration. Note the level after an oil/filter change, and gauge from that initial level on the dipstick. - And always try and park on level ground, or the at least in the same spot when checking. (If I roll my car from the front of the driveway to the back, the level slightly changes on the stick, due to the incline change).

Just an FYI, a slight puff at startup may not be oil. Many engines will exhibit a small puff immediately after starting, and never appear to burn a drop of oil. On startup, particularly in cold weather, the excess fuel from cranking may not burn off completely, and that puff may be caused by a temporarily rich condition during the crank process.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,667 Posts
If you don't like the reading on the dipstick, just turn it over. It will be different on the other side.

To the OP, I would think that if you had documentation of complaints of oil consumption to the dealer based on past visits, SOA likely would have comp'd you for the new short block, rather than you taking a hit on trade-in. And after your experience, I don't think I'd have been too keen to get another OB anyway... Water under the bridge at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts