Subaru Outback Forums banner

Burning rubber smell after highway driving 2013

11K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  wb3drf 
#1 ·
I've got a 2013 Outback PZEV with 7000 miles on it. Initially, I had the 'new car burn smell' but that went away pretty fast. Sometime around 3000 miles or so, I started to notice a burning rubber smell after I drove at least a half hour on the highway. I regularly drive 250 miles each way to the river, and last week when I pulled off to get gas after 2 hours, the smell came in the vents. It's burning/hot rubber, not oil or gear oil, I know those smells all too well. It smells like you just did a big old burnout, but we all know this car couldn't do that if it's life depended on it! It's getting worse, not better. It is NOT the new car undercoat, even the dealer agreed to that. There are no oil leaks, and it is not hot/burning oil smell. I see in past threads that as far back as 2010 people have complained about this, but none of the threads have any conclusion. I HATE this smell, and it concerns me that something is going to fail and leave me stranded in the middle of the desert. Does not matter if it's cold or hot outside. I don't drive it using the 'shift paddles', just regular D to get best MPG I can. Anyone know what this is? The dealer is totally clueless and says they've never heard of this before. I question that, after seeing the other posts on this forum. Would not be the first time a dealer has 'played dumb' with me, happens all the time. If something rubber is hot enough to smell like that every time I drive it, it will eventually fail.

#4 ·
I have smelled that smell on occasion on both an 07 Legacy I had as well as the 2011 I currently drive. I'm thinking the smell may come from hot trans/differential fluid under the hood. If you look on top of the transmission housing by the firewall on the passenger side, you can see the breather tubes for the transmission and front diff.

#7 ·
Burning rubber smell

I get the same smell that happens occasionally. Smelt it this morning again when I got in after it was warming up for 10 minutes or so in the drive way (-18F this morning:gasp:).

Don't know the cause but have been thinking possibly belts or something to do with having the hot air on since the car didn't even move today and got the smell. Anyone got any idea's please throw them out there.

#8 ·
RiverRatz, have you tried idling the car in your driveway until it heats up? If you smell it after idling and not driving, it will rule out a lot of stuff.

Why is the dealer so sure that it's not undercoating? Undercoating over spray actually makes the most sense.

#10 ·
Just purchased a 2013 Outback with 92K and am having the same burnt rubber smell after the car has been driven over 30 minutes and is turned off, no leaks can be seen. Was the original question ever resolved in this thread? I feel like I have read a lot of forums with people having the same issue but nothing has been resolved. I haven't read that this has been a large threat to the engine but I still would like to know what is going on?

#13 ·
You might want to check your serpentine belt. Only rubber part that is turning and getting hot other than the tires. Maybe you could raise the hood quickly after stopping on a drive where the burning odor is present. Use your nose - - try waving the air toward your nose with your hand. One other thing - - if there is rubber near the catalytic converter - hangers, etc. that could get pretty hot on a long ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.