Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here.

I am a happy new owner of 2013 outback 2.5 (1500 miles so far). Had the car for two weeks and notice from day 1 that there is a burning smell coming from the hood after driving it. The smell is not very strong but noticeable. I am curious if anyone else out there has similar experience.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Had a similar burning smell from the engine compartment that eventually went away. I suspected either an engine component or more likely the exhaust system had a thin oily coat to minimize rust. Smelled similar to what one smells at HF tool stores

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
It's normal. The smell will fade after the car breaks in a little bit. Nothing to worry about. There was another thread on it a little while back if you search. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! I can sleep better now.
Getting the outback was a great decision, with a helpful forum like this just make it even better. Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I fixed it by turning on the recycling button on the AC. Seems to have done the trick but I honestly have so few miles I on her i can't say for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We've had our OB for 3 weeks - parked in a garage every night. We smelled the same burning smell the first week of ownership. It progressively got better. Now we don't smell anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
astro9476
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing