Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 96 2.5 Outback, and after reading/hearing the horror stories on the engine for a while now I have ran across another 96 Legacy wagon with the 2.2 and a bad tranny for a song. What other parts would be worth stealing from the donor car before sending it to the crusher that will be the same and or fit my Outback? Also if/when I changed out my 2.5 in favor of the 2.2 would I be better of replacing the computer from the donor as well?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Use the 2.5 ECM.

Suspension parts: steering rack if its good, wheels, spindles as long as they match for ABS equipped or not.

Engine: radiator, condensor, AC compressor, alternator, PS pump, fans.

Interior: Measure it up. The legacy wagon was a little smaller than the Outback so some stuff may fit, others not.

This all depends on your ability to store these items where they are out of the weather and safe from rats. :)

Take what you need, part it out.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
If you think you may do the motor swap in the future make sure to get the power steering lines as well. You may be able to make your lines work, but if not then you would have the pump and lines so it will all look like it was supposed to be there. I have heard some people say that you have nowhere to bolt the stock support brackets when switching from the DOCH 2.5 to the SOHC 2.2.
I just had this done to my car and they swapped at least one of the lines so it would look right. It wasn't a necessity, but now it looks better.

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
426 Posts
I don't know how many miles you have on the car, but if the head gaskets have been upgraded the 2.5 will be a pretty good engine. I would think the HG job would be cheaper than doing an engine transplant. The 2.2 is a great engine, but it might me under powered in the Outback.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
ECU doesn't matter. They are so easy to swap though you can do whatever you want and see what you like. Takes 7 minutes.

Your current vehicle is equipped with EGR - you'll want to make sure the EJ22 has EGR as well.

Practically, this doesn't matter. It's plug and play easy swap and runs fine. But you'll get a check engine light that can be nearly impossible to get rid of. (I've installed non-EGR intake manifolds and ECU, and cut the EGR wires and still had EGR codes).

But if you live in an area that has emissions testing or inspections that look at the check engine light, that might be an issue. Or if you simply don't like the CEL on all the time.

EGR issue aside, I would get that EJ22, great engine, cheaper timing components, and EJ25's are prone to headgasket and lower end issues.

Main parts I'd get are all the knuckles you can get to swap out for future wheel bearing issues. Wheel bearings are a rather hefty job that can be problematic as well.

If the original converter and muffler are in place and non-rusty those are good to retain as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The people finally priced the car to me. It is showing 187xxx on the odometer and are asking $600 for it. Would that still be an ok deal on this car?

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
Just for reference I paid $550 for my 2.2 that had 51,000 miles on it. But that was engine only, not an entire car. Those engines do go for a long time but that is getting up there. Tough call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts