Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Considering buying a 2002 Outback 2.5 5 speed with 73k. Supposedly a garage car and no winters, pictures look excellent. Planning on going to see it in person tomorrow.

Is there anything i need to look for when i crawl around this one? Other than the head gaskets, clutch, rust (better be none!) and that annoying muffler whistle ( every one ive test driven so far has had it...)?

I appreciate any advice! like the 2012, but also like the rallycar feel of the gen 2 stickshift cars...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5i D/R 5MT
50 Posts
Look for coolant and oil looks of course! Blown head gaskets are a common failure.

Take it for a nice long drive to get some heat into the gearbox and then drive it in circles at full lock and listen for a 'clunk, clunk, clunk' noise.

Inspect tyres for even wear, they must all be the same, otherwise, it will eventually cause the 'clunk, clunk, clunk', which is called torque bind (viscous centre diff is destroyed).

Listen for squeaky/squealy noises when letting out the clutch, this indicates a shot Dual-Mass Flywheel. Not sure if US models are equipped with this part.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny how things work, ended up looking at a 98 OBW 5 speed tonight and bought it! rust free car, 138k, DOHC 2.5. Ironic that this happened after i posted the thread!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sold the 1998 last week, now got my hands on a 2010 Forester Prem 5 speed. Loved the 98 other than the worn out seats. But my dog can stand up in the Forester!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts