Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ramairmods to a 97 OB 2.5 liter

ok heres what i plan. im getting the car on about wednesday. first thing i plan to do is put an adapter and take off the piece of metal closing off the ram air. so i will have true ram air. i have seen the part for a wrx, i was wondering if there was one for the outback? and who sells it. and who has a good exhaust with no rasp for my outback-2.5 liter.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Hmmmm ... are you talking about the black metal baffle that fastens onto the underside of the hood scoop? I took mine off for the heck of it, but I can't say it really makes any difference, maybe a slightly cooler plennum chamber *shrug*

The air intake is through the so-called "snorkus" that draws air from the right front fender (depending, I guess, on the exact year of OB)

The scoop, AFAIK, is for the various turbo models that have an intercooler there, which is not the case for me.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
You can do it, just do it the right way. As in making sure water goes somewhere besides in your throttle body. I have seen a couple pics of it done successfully to a 2.5 RS hood. I don't think it was a quick job, though. I believe it was well thought out and had room for water to go. Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I'm a bit skeptical that the scoop draws much air in, anyway. I was wondering about rain and stuff getting in there, so through last winter, I watched the trails of water/salt/grit that splashed and blew up the hood. There was not much sign of these entering the scoop; they seemed to fizzle in their progress and dry up without getting far. It made me suspect that air is not flowing very fast there = not much airflow into the scoop. But I don't have any real proof.

Weren't there some ram-air setups where the scoop ran backwards, to capture air from the high-pressure area at the base of the windshield? (Think late-70s Camaro) Maybe something like that could be more effective, not to mention unsusal.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
jarrett, there are a lot of aftermarket and DIY intake conversions. Weapon 'R' I think makes one for the hood scoop. The ram effect you're thinking of may not come into effect until well over 60-70 MPH and even then the ECU will just make some adjustments that likely will negate any big gains in perf. Now getting COOL air into the TB can have a noticeable effect. Be careful what you do because you may be trading a little topend HP for a lot of lowe ned torque.
try searching www.scoobymods.com www.nasioc.com and www.i-club.com for threads on;
snorkusectomy
cai
cold air intake
torque box
snorkus
functional hood scoop
etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing