Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm going to test drive a 2008 Outback with the 2.5 tomorrow which looks great but has 160,000 miles, which scares me off. The dealer is looking at 7,000 USD but hopefully I can talk that down. If I ask for the timing belt to be replaced before I buy it and to see a full carfax report, would you think I can take this up to 250,000-300,000 ish miles? What should I pay attention to while driving? Should I aim for 6,000 and does that make this a better sale?

Thanks!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
No way to answer your question. It all depends on how the vehicle was or was not maintained. Could need suspension parts, could not. Could have a neglected engine/transmission/etc. Could not. No way to tell without a thorough inspection. It is way overdue for a full timing job. I'd expect suspension needs work between now and 200,000 miles.

That price is however about normal for the age and miles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,850 Posts
you are looking for a timing belt kit. not just the rubber belt. the rubber belts might outlast the pulleys idlers.

subaru says 105,000 miles/ 105 month intervals. (sooner would be wiser though).

_____

and on a 160,000 mile 2008 I would ask if the head gaskets were done,...ever. and be ready to look for oil leaking from them.

not a dream car killer, just external oil leaking on these H4 2000-2009,... and people fix them all the time.
($1600-$2000 depending upon if you need a timing belt kit at the same time).
my head gaskets were done on my similar car around 65,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2008 last month for $5200 with 144,000 miles. No record of timing belt change so I put a kit together of all Japanese parts for about $280 and hanged it myself. It also had a cracked/'melted' dash with Subaru changed under a warranty extension for the dash. I just bought and rear struts and will replace them myself. I think they were about $250 and a strut spring compressor from Home Depot for $40...I put a trailer hitch on it today.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,850 Posts
I bought a 2008 last month for $5200 with 144,000 miles. No record of timing belt change so I put a kit together of all Japanese parts for about $280 and hanged it myself. It also had a cracked/'melted' dash with Subaru changed under a warranty extension for the dash. I just bought and rear struts and will replace them myself. I think they were about $250 and a strut spring compressor from Home Depot for $40...I put a trailer hitch on it today.
hope you got KYB stuts there (the ones subaru relabels, and the last good name in struts)....there is a $100 rebate on KYB this month
(saw it on rockauto Current Promotions & Manufacturer Rebates )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts