Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 Subaru Outback, 5 Speed
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this forum has helped me so much over the years, I thought I would poke around one more time before I pull the trigger.

The vehicle I am going to purchase is a 2012 Outback, base model, but in pretty good condition other than a couple dings outside. The car has 135K on it, but the engine was replaced last year due to a coolant/radiator malfunction. Dont know all the details, yet, but I am assuming they lost coolant and overheated the engine.

Took a look at it, and it looks great, almost the entire engine compartment looks brand new, but I have never seen a 2012 engine, so I just dont know. It was replaced by a local shop, not the dealer and they have had 0 issues with it since it was installed. I am obviously going to find out more info, like mileage on the engine—is it brand new or used? Who replaced it, and is there a warranty?

Underneath looks great, no rust (even though it is a VT car), muffler and cat sound fine, did the hit test lol.

I've asked for all the service records so I can be sure to cover my ass, but I just want to know if there is anything else I need to be on the lookout for?

Keep me informed!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
make them replace the CVT fluid with subaru CVT fluid if it has not been done so recently.

·
Registered
05 Subaru Outback, 5 Speed
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
make them replace the CVT fluid with subaru CVT fluid if it has not been done so recently.
And is this an easy thing to do? As in, can I do it myself? I've changed transmission and diff fluid on subarus—is it that easy?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
And is this an easy thing to do? As in, can I do it myself? I've changed transmission and diff fluid on subarus—is it that easy?
people have detailed DIYs on here., for 2010-2015 era CVTs. (someone may have typed of how to get 100% of the old stuff out in one go),...I know others here have just had the subaru dealer do it, as the only thing they have taken their car to the dealer for. (hopefully finding one that will do it cheaper then the others)

what sucks, subaru like other companies loosing the trans dipstick,...so no easy way on a used car to even see what is in there.

subaru originally stated the CVT fluid only need be changed if towing....and that it would last forever. but people who own them suggest changing it, worried the thing will fail if the fluid is not changed.

if I were to buy one, I would swap the fluid first thing though if no paperwork existed that it was done,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts