Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 outback is (sadly) sitting at a tranny shop, waiting for me to decide if the installed price of $2300 is an appropriate price for a used AT transmission compatible with 1997 legacy outback 2.5 liter engine? The transmission will also come with 97,000 miles. I did some looking online and found an online company that sells used Subaru transmissions with a warranty. I could really use some information about this site http://www.lowmileageparts.com Thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i don't know that site, but this one is a great source for used parts.
the labor on a trans r&r is less than 5 hours. so if the labor rate is 100 that is $500. this means the trans is $1800.

i was quoted $450 to swap an 01 auto trasns labor only . it ended up costing me $800. i think they ripped me off.

but you can get a trans for about $1000. with a 30 day warranty. this menas it will not be ''dead on arrival'' . you can ask about a longer warranty, some will offer it for a higher sale price.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

you can use an auto trans from ANY outback 96 - 98. they are all the same. but you will have to search each year separately.
you can also use a forester auto trans from 98.
or a GT trans from 96 - 98 but your speedo may be off a little with this one.

you CANNOT use an auto trans from a legacy L, brighton, impreza, or any 2.2L car. it will not work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Is there a reputable shop near you that can rebuild yours?
My front wheel drive transfer case went on a pickup truck 4X4 I bought new many years ago.

I was going to buy a used transfer case, then got to thinking, if the person who had the one that's for sale plowed with it, then he did a lot more wear and tear than I did:confused:, an occasional use for the 4WD.

I ended up getting a factory-remanufactured one at about twice the cost, but I knew it would last.;) We opened the cover for some reason, the part in mine that broke had been re-designed in the newly-rebuilt transfer case we got, so the problem was a weak point where a shaft connected to the inside of the aluminum housing!:D:17:

When I saw they had added a bearing, or some such thing, I knew immediately the extra money was money well-spent!:17:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Saint J VT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing