Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm on the market for an H6 and I found one with 140k

you guys with H6s what is your experience with them and what should I look for before I buy it and wh are the main problems with these H6s?

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
great cars. give it some good gas and listen for timing chain guide/tensioner noise. it'll be very noticeable.

the only issue they have doesn't really need inspected, it should be addressed as soon as you buy the car. there is a sticky in the forums for the serpentine pulley bearings. they fail all the time and should be replaced when you buy it. they're basically maintenance items on this engine. luckily it takes 15 minutes each and costs $3 - $15 depending if you replace the bearing or the pulley. very easy.

the throttle position sensors are flaky on them too and a somewhat common issue. simply replace it, also very easy job.

spark plugs and valve cover gaskets are a rough job and are likely to need done by this age/mileage.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
great cars. give it some good gas and listen for timing chain guide/tensioner noise. it'll be very noticeable.

the only issue they have doesn't really need inspected, it should be addressed as soon as you buy the car. there is a sticky in the forums for the serpentine pulley bearings. they fail all the time and should be replaced when you buy it. they're basically maintenance items on this engine. luckily it takes 15 minutes each and costs $3 - $15 depending if you replace the bearing or the pulley. very easy.

the throttle position sensors are flaky on them too and a somewhat common issue. simply replace it, also very easy job.

spark plugs and valve cover gaskets are a rough job and are likely to need done by this age/mileage.
If the previous owner followed Subaru's maintenance schedule, the spark plugs should have been replaced at around 120k, so you'd be good there until 180 or so if they used platinum plugs. They're not too horrible to change. A couple of hours of frustration and you're done :D.

Otherwise, the H6 is a sweet engine and they have very few issues (as outlined by Gary above)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
i dont understand why subaru dosnt have recalls for half of the simple errors such as the serpentine pully bearings, on there otherwise bulletproof engines..... vw once recalled a power steering reservoir for my passat. seemed quite unnecessary compared to the HG issue with my EJ25D.... Dang Commies. :28:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
whats the mpg compared to the 2.5
Despite what some of the 2.5 owners will tell you, it's not a huge difference. We have two 2.5s (a 98 Outback Limited and a 98 Legacy GT), and they only do slightly better around town than my H6 does (I see 21-22, they see 23ish). On the highway there's a larger gap, they'll do 29-30 MPG and my H6 will do 26-27 (though some of that may be that my driving isn't as conservative as theirs).

Those numbers are pretty much on-par with what you'd see out of a Gen2 H4 as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's got a leaky sunroof the headliner is all stained with the water that leaked... is it costly to fix it? is it a reason to back out of the deal they are asking 4k

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
my friends 2003 leaks some, though apparently not as much as this one. i would suspect it's an easy fix - a drain tube is clogged or disconnected, but i don't know any more for certain or how easy those tasks would be, i haven't worked on one yet. i would google subaru sunroof leaks and see what you find. and then post it back here so i can tell my friend about his!

doesn't sound like a deal breaker to me but i'd research, search, and see how easy those drain tubes are to access first.

$4k is very cheap for one of those in excellent condition so i would expect there are a few known issues.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
ac needs recharge too no freeon in the lines
When I bought mine, it was totally devoid of refrigerant, too. Assuming there are no leaks or other issues (and some leaks are very easy to deal with--I'm sure Gary will elaborate on that!) put in 24 oz of R-134a and you'll be golden.

As already mentioned, $4k is very, very good for one of these, so spending some time/money fixing some issues is definitely acceptable IMO. FWIW, the seller of my 2004 was asking $8k for it a year ago (I paid $7300). It had some cosmetic issues, needed new pads and rotors all around, and had non-working A/C and even the $8k wasn't a bad price. I'm pretty confident I could still get somewhere close to that if I were to sell it now.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yea us H6 guys will tell you that's a great price. As all of these cars watch for rust. The fog light holes on mine have some slight surface rust that I will fix, but I've seen pics of some where they rot off so bad the light falls out. The fenders, quarters and rear hatch are areas too. Look for torque bind. Valve covers leak but head gaskets on this motor are rare from what I can tell. But 4 is a great price I paid 7150 for mine after tax, tags and title and it had 104000 on it at the time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys

i put a deposit down and getting the money at the bank tomorrow and picking it up on monday

here is the specs

02 obw h6 sedona red LLbean

pics to come one i have it all cleaned up

sunroof drains and ac will be the first to be done... headliner will come off to be washed

i guess my 97 2.2 5spd will be up for grabs very soon

again thank you for all your help

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
sunroof drains and ac
i have an extensive H6 A/C repair thread for your generation (same as two of my daily drivers) - you will want to follow that. for a couple dollars and 20 minutes you can fix your A/C very easily. very common and easy to remedy.

i guess my 97 2.2 5spd will be up for grabs very soon
oh yeah, great motor. you'll be going from one excellent Subaru motor to another. good job avoiding the EJ25, the 2.2 and H6 are far superior motors.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so I got the car today... driving home at 60 I feel a major vibration that I can feel on the seat... this is not a tire out of balance... it feels like a bind or something no torque bind tho what could it be?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
8 Participants
njdrsubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing