Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states, I will soon be purchasing an 09 OBXT 5speed. Was wondering if anyone in South Texas has one, even if not an XT, that would be willing to meet and show me the ropes. I'd like to have a "control" so I know what to look for when I go out of state to test the vehicles I have lined up. Willing to throw a bone to anyone who can help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're the first bite. More in PM...
Edit: nevermind... Thought you meant north TX, not way up north... All good.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,584 Posts
I'd suggest rather than arranging for a "control" to inspect and baseline your understanding of the Gen 3 XT, that you instead ask forum members who they recommend in that area for an independent shop. If you get some consensus, call that shop up, explain your situation, and arrange an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection.

They will have experience knowing not only what this car should be (i.e yur idea to compare to a "control"), but also what it shouldn't be. And trust me, with the Gen 3 XT they will have seen plenty of the latter. That side of it will be much more difficult to assess by only having looked at a well-cared-for XT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd suggest rather than arranging for a "control" to inspect and baseline your understanding of the Gen 3 XT, that you instead ask forum members who they recommend in that area for an independent shop. If you get some consensus, call that shop up, explain your situation, and arrange an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection.

They will have experience knowing not only what this car should be (i.e yur idea to compare to a "control"), but also what it shouldn't be. And trust me, with the Gen 3 XT they will have seen plenty of the latter. That side of it will be much more difficult to assess by only having looked at a well-cared-for XT.
After continued reading, I think you have hit it on the head. I'm just so used to doing this stuff myself, but it's becoming obvious some tasks that are hard to do on most engines (ex: timing belts/chains) can be much easier in a Subaru, but the opposite can also apply. I've always pulled/read plugs and compression tested any engine I've thought about taking in, it's been the cause of me walking away from several... And now I am learning this is not at all an easy feat on an H engine, definitely not something I want to do with limited tools and time, and the vehicles current owner watching.
I have recently had the opportunity to drive a couple of OEM turbo Subarus. A 2009 Impreza WRX hatch which contained a turbo that sounded like a roots supercharger, accompanied by minor power surging while in boost and some driveline vibrations.... And a 2015 WRX Limited owned by a friend of a friend, known good condition. It felt completely different than the previous vehicle. So I am no longer clueless, but still far from what I would consider expertise.

With all that said, I'll happily listen to any opinions on where to have vehicles looked at. The first stop is Grand Junction CO. Initial search shows most are happy with the service dept at the dealership there, but if there is an independent shop in the area I'm all ears.
If I leave Grand Junction without purchasing the car, I'll be finding my way 4hrs east to Denver where a couple more options reside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again @johnre for putting this in my head. Found a knowledgeable shop and had it inspected a couple days before I flew out... Paid some substantial labor to have plugs pulled, compression and leakdown tested and so glad I did. #2 and #3 had 15% leakdown into the crankcase. #1 and #4 had 20% leakdown into crankcase and exhaust. Coupled with some other minor issues that spelled out a lot of immediate repair expenses on top of the cost of purchase, I've moved on. Engine may have lasted quite a while like that, or it may not have. Couldn't justify the risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts