Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OB XT Ltd MT, Garnet Red
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone on this board for very helpful information prior to purchase of our new ob. Garnet Red, taupe interior w/ add'n of subwoofer, pop equip group 1 (dimming mirrow w/ compass and perim alarm), wheel locks, cargo net.

I highly recommend doing your research, finding out about dealer holdback (e.g. through consumer reports), etc and then using email. I went to a dealership, negotiated my best price, then shopped that price around to local dealers using Subaru's own website to contact them. I was able to take purchase price down from 29,400 (w/ delivery, before taxes, title) down to 29,280. And over the course of things, ended up getting free oil changes for two years and the plug-in-cooler (what the heck?) thrown in on the bargain. It's amazing how protestations and comments like "I couldn't possibly do that, it's below my cost . . ." melt away when it's clear what other dealerships are willing to do.

Delivery is set for Thursday and my wife and I are psyched!

·
Registered
05 Outback XT Ltd.
26 Posts
Where'd you buy? I used Rafferty (Newtown Square)

Just curious--I had a pretty good experience @ Rafferty about 2 months ago--but I don't recall my price being quite as good as yours.

·
Registered
2005 OB XT Ltd MT, Garnet Red
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I emailed Rafferty and the guy there wouldn't budge -- essentially would not acknowledge the presence of a "holdback" on this car and stated "anyone selling the car at that price is selling at a loss."

I got the original price from Wilkie Subaru (29,400). A very nice guy at Miller Subaru in Sicklerville went back and forth via email and gave me a better offer. I couldn't get him lower than 29,280, but he kept on throwing incentives to come down -- oil changes, the electric ice chest.

I was torn -- my original experience w/ my salesman at Wilkie was a little subpar. The guy just didn't really seem too interested in anything, much less selling us a car. That said, he did set us up for a million test-drives and had spent a lot of time with us even he seemed to be "calling it in." Not to mention the dealership is literally within walking distance of my house. So I felt obligated to at least give him the opportunity to match the offer (and save me the 1/2 drive to NJ).

He went through the usual dances (couldn't contact the manager this late at night, couldn't find the car equipped as I described so I would have to pay labor costs for the subwoofer, "we don't don't do free oil changes", blah, blah blah) but all vanished after he found us standing at the door ready to leave after one of his trips to the back "to check some things." He matched the offer. Including the cooler!

So, how do you likey your new ride?

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Congratulations on your buy. It's amazing how salesmen change their tune when you are about to walk out the door to go to the other dealership with the best offer.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,912 Posts
Wow, you got a free Subaru cooler! Those things are extremely cool (no pun intended :p) and come in very handy from what I hear. Sounds like you got a great deal and now I'm jealous because someone here got a Garnet XT before I did...

Oh how you will pay for that! :22:

:D

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,912 Posts
rgombine said:
hey, don't mock the cooler!!!
I wasn't trying to mock it, I seriously want one for my car for all those beer drinkin' campin' trips I make. Believe me I'd get a ton of useage out of one ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts