Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heads are in the machine shop I should have them on friday. Here are my options: Six star, Felpros new design MLS, and OEM Subaru.

Cost is not a biggie here as all of these are within 20-30 dollars I just want the best one without spending for the really expensive like cometic.

Subaru says their are much improved and that they have never had to do a head-gasket twice other than cooling system failures. The parts man thought that my 2000 2.5 sohc would call for the multi layer gasket $50 each.

Locally we have two independent subaru repair shops one only uses and sells six star gaskets which are a three layer stainless steel covered in some super high performance rubberish coating. also $50 each

Lastly I've seem the new redesigned Felpros talked about on some other forums and thought they might be worth looking at. For some reason Napa wants $60 each but rock auto has them for under $28 although I'm not sure I could have them in time for the weekend when I plan to install.

Lastly I appologize I know some of this is in the forums already but my head is spinning trying to decide.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,436 Posts
My main concern would be with the MLS design. If the Subaru part is MLS then I would trust that, if not then the Six Star MLS would be my 2nd choice.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
As of 2010 Subaru's come with a MLS gasket like the turbo's (which don't have issues) - i would like to know if those work in earlier engines.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i read a post on the usmb just today, for 00+ head gaskets use only the new turbo gaskets. i'm not sure which that is but my guess is it is more durable than the others.

ccr has had some failures with the standard 00 - 04 gaskets. enough to justify a better gasket at a greater expense.

fwiw

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i read a post on the usmb just today, for 00+ head gaskets use only the new turbo gaskets. i'm not sure which that is but my guess is it is more durable than the others.

ccr has had some failures with the standard 00 - 04 gaskets. enough to justify a better gasket at a greater expense.

fwiw
whats ccr? So would a six star be a better gasket or do you have someother recommendation?

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L H4 (EJ25)
229 Posts
I have just recently gone through this and decided to go with the Six Star HGs. They seem to be the only ones that are made specifically for that engine, and they have a very good track record, provided the work is done properly. They do apparently require some tighter tolerances in terms of head flatness.

The Subaru HGs meant for the turbo engine apparently will also do, but there are cases where they had to be redone. Again, that might be a reflection of the quality of the work, not so much of the HGs.

If you haven't done so, you might want to check out the info here:

A Better Subaru 2.5l Head Gasket in Seattle - Seattle Subaru Repair
Which head gasket is best for a Subaru? | Smart Service Subaru Blog

BTW, any and all of the Six Star parts are highly recommended, so I have been told by mechanics who use them and who are also familiar with Subaru OEM parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just recently gone through this and decided to go with the Six Star HGs. They seem to be the only ones that are made specifically for that engine, and they have a very good track record, provided the work is done properly. They do apparently require some tighter tolerances in terms of head flatness.

The Subaru HGs meant for the turbo engine apparently will also do, but there are cases where they had to be redone. Again, that might be a reflection of the quality of the work, not so much of the HGs.

If you haven't done so, you might want to check out the info here:

A Better Subaru 2.5l Head Gasket in Seattle - Seattle Subaru Repair
Which head gasket is best for a Subaru? | Smart Service Subaru Blog

BTW, any and all of the Six Star parts are highly recommended, so I have been told by mechanics who use them and who are also familiar with Subaru OEM parts.
I think I'm also leaning towards six star, our local independent subby shop really likes them and I'm having a terrible time gaining confidence in the oem gasket. I'm doing this myself and really don't want to do this again ever on this car.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
OEM is fine, failure of OE gaskets have been due to installation errors, not the head gaskets themselves. USMB board uses OE gaskest (which would be the latest and greatest design) have no issues with OE (and what I would use), when they do it is installer error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.