Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, as the title said, Im buying my first Subaru tomorrow and am pretty fired up about it! Im taking it to a mechanic to make sure there arent any gremlins hiding that I need to know about, and so long as it checks out, I'll be a happy owner of a new to me Outback. The only thing I noticed was a bit of a shudder/grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel while the car is stopped. It doesnt seem to do it while driving. Any thoughts on what this may be or if it should be an automatic dealbreaker?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Hi everyone, as the title said, Im buying my first Subaru tomorrow and am pretty fired up about it! Im taking it to a mechanic to make sure there arent any gremlins hiding that I need to know about, and so long as it checks out, I'll be a happy owner of a new to me Outback. The only thing I noticed was a bit of a shudder/grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel while the car is stopped. It doesnt seem to do it while driving. Any thoughts on what this may be or if it should be an automatic dealbreaker?

Thanks
Jason

What year? How many miles? I cant answer this but Im sure there are many here that can give you some insight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, I suppose I shouldve mentioned all that. Its a 96 with appx 132K miles. I asked the owner about the motor and she said its the (apparently dreaded) 2.5, though I havent been able to verify it.

·
Registered
'97 OBW 2.5 5spd
45 Posts
If so you should see EJ25 stamped onto the block. I can't remember where it is off the top of my head, seems like it's visible from the top though. It should also be written on the VIN plate on the shock tower under the hood as well. My 97, bought with 180K, was somewhat neglected. So far:

Brakes
Front axle
Replaced parking brake handle
Replaced fog light
Timing Belt
Pulled motor to fix broken cam seal bolts, changed seals and stuff while in there

Waiting to go on or need to do:
All four shocks
Clutch
Back up light switch
Rear trans seal
Shifter bushings

I have had absoutly no problem with this car as far as worrying about it stranding me. It's actually built pretty well in comparison to my previous Honda's. Everything that I have done and am doing are things that should have already been taken car of. As long as the head gaskets have been replaced the 2.5 should be fine. Mine has over 200K on it now. Setting the timing on that dual cam boxer is a bitch though.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Torque bind.

All 4 tires should match. They should be equally worn. If an auto there should be no fuse in the FWD holder under the hood on the passenger side of the car by the firewall.

On either an auto or manual it should be able to take a tight circle at idle speed or a bit more without fighting the steering wheel.

The shudder when sitting still can be as simple as low power sterring fluid (leak) or a loose belt.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
look inside the PS fluid reservoir while idling for foam/bubbles. PS problem could be from air being sucked in. Often an easy fix with a new o-ring ot 2.

good thinking letting a pro check it out. If he doesn't find a show-stopping problem, you might get some minor problems to help negotiate a lowe rprice. Check back here and someone may be able to help you fix them yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad news, the car was essentially a rolling time bomb of trouble. I did find a 98 Outback with 177K miles that the dealer said had the 2.5 liter. Is this 2.5 still plagued by the same issues as the 2.2? It says its eligible for the carfax buyback guarantee, would that cover the head gasket going out?

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
The 2.2 usually is not that problematic, if you look around on here people swap their 2.5 with a 2.2 to avoid problems. But as far as the carfax goes it would depend on what is in the report but i dont think a headgasket would make it elegible for the buyback.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
any car ANY of them with 177K a headgasket can be a issue just due to age.

The 2.2 is trouble free, the 2.5 had HG issues, but usually they make it that far the odds of the HG going bad are just likae any other car at 177K

·
Registered
'97 OBW 2.5 5spd
45 Posts
I bough mine with more miles than that. Just make sure that the maintance was kept up with or you'll end up putting a bunch of money into it to replace those parts, like I have. Granted I didn't pay much for the car so it's all good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts