Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had this done on my '13 outback and as suspected, I have a substantial problem. Dealer is going to replace the full engine for free. Going to unload this thing ASAP, anyone else having this problem?
We just picked up a 2013 and I really wish I had read this forum before buying it. What lead you to getting the test conducted? Was your car still under warranty to get a replacement engine for free?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can someone tell me or link me to what Subaru's engine code is exactly for the 2014 Outback's 2.5l... I've been googling around and can't find anything definitive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there a way to completely deactivate VDC/TC?

I was trying to slide my '`4 6sp OB around a snowy parking lot and with the VDC off it allowed for more slipping but as soon as I got the car into a big slide, the light would begin flashing on the dash and I could feel it intervening.

I know on my other cars there are two levels of deactivation... one just disables traction control but leaves stablity on... and then I have to push the button again or hold it down longer to compeletely disable the nannies.

I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything... any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nicely done. I sent you a PM.

Also, refer to cars101.com - Joe Spitz (out of Seattle, WA area) has done a pretty good job presenting all Subaru models (thanks Joe).
Thanks, G-Omaha... that website is very helpful. I live in Omaha, too... for about 2 1/2 years now. Any advice about where to go to get my 2011 OB 3.6R Limited serviced when I’m ready for new Brakes or Exhaust work? I lived in Lincoln for almost 20 years, and work there now, so I may know some shops there... but I never owned a Subaru until recently, so my experience has been with other brands like Chevy, Ford, Toyota and Honda. My wife’s ‘17 Forester is still under warranty, so we go to Beardmore Subaru for it. I’ve been there for a couple of things with my OB, also... and think they’re OK. A little bit Pricey, but OK.
I’m thinking about putting a more efficient exhaust system on it to improve gas mileage/ performance... and wonder if I should look into an upgrade in the OCS? I don’t want it loud... tho I could live with a little noise if it sounds good! I mainly want to make it a bit more efficient and am beginning to research the options available.
Thanks again! -Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have had our 2011 3.6R limiter for 135,XXX and we have only replaced the front wheel bearings around a year ago. We have performed all maintenance as per the book. Great car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there fellow Outback owners - new to the forum.

With a little nudging from me, my son just purchased our family's first Outback. It is a 2012 Premium 2.5i AT with 140,000km, and we are quite excited about the deal he got. Car is spotless and no accidents on the record. The seller had it certified at our local Subaru dealership and it needed rear brakes, which apparently where borderline and the seller argued with the dealer service rep about it... and some sway bar links and control arm bushing. $1,300 in safety work. So we are confident that the safety is legit. We got the car for $8,500CND including a set of 1-yr winters (plus tax). Pretty excellent deal we thought.

Had our mechanic look at it afterwards and he likes the brand and reliability. He said it didn't look like it had been winter driven due to practically no rust on the underbody. The previous owner said he used every day as a commuter car, so not sure why no rust under there, and there was no evidence of any previous rust-proofing. We just had it oil sprayed for rust control anyways and that should keep any rust at bay. He hopes to keep it for quite a few years.

So, after two weeks of ownership, here's to another successful used-car purchase that saved my son thousands of dollars from the typical asking price of $14-15,000 in our Ontario region...

One question though - what is the purposed of the two paddles behind the steering wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock? Manual shifting for off-roading??

Cheers, and looking forward to some good reading on these forums!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I likewise just bought a 2012 for a steal. Pretty excited about mine as well.

The paddles are for manual 'shifting'. On the gear shift in drive you'll see a 'M' location you put the gear selector. In that setting it becomes a 'manual'. I use quotes because on the CVT there aren't actual gears to shift between, but pre set pulley ratios to mimic the effect of shifting up and down between gears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all! I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a '14 OB 2.5L 6M base. If anyone has any specific advice or tips on this particular model/year I'd love to hear about them :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 Outback 3.6 and am loving it! It came with 225/65R17 Michelin Premier Tires that I knew would need replacement soon. I went to Discount Tire and they put on 225/60R17s. I have been trying to research the advantages/disadvantages of upgrading to the 65's. I like the idea of extra ground clearance. What are the other pro's & cons? There is lots of chatter on her about tires sizes but not much specific to these two sizes. I need to make a decision if I should go back and have them put the 65's ons so any input is appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 Outback 3.6 and am loving it! It came with 225/65R17 Michelin Premier Tires that I knew would need replacement soon. I went to Discount Tire and they put on 225/60R17s. I have been trying to research the advantages/disadvantages of upgrading to the 65's. I like the idea of extra ground clearance. What are the other pro's & cons? There is lots of chatter on her about tires sizes but not much specific to these two sizes. I need to make a decision if I should go back and have them put the 65's ons so any input is appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
While the added height, while not much of a difference, is nice for off-roading I would stick with the stock size. The manufacture designed the car for 225/60R17 so it will keep you speedometer fairly accurate, plus your suspension angles may be slightly off by using a different size tire causing abnormal wear or steering feel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2014 Outback 2.5 at the beginning of last month with only 28k miles on it. This is our second Subaru as we own a 2018 Forester as well. Been looking at replacing the stock tires with some all terrain ones since we do lots of camping and road trips which take us on some dirt roads but nothing crazy. Thats what the Jeep is for :smile2:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi all! First post in the Gen 4 forum. I'm looking at this very gorgeous 2013 H6 right now that has only like 86 thousand miles on it. I just found out from the dealer tonight that the car had a head gasket replacement in January of this year! While I normally can appreciate a fresh head gasket, this is very troubling to me. Why would a car only 6 years old with less than 100K, that seems it was well maintained, even need a head gasket so soon? My 2002 with the 3 liter H6 blew when the car had 174K miles, was 15 years old and had very worn out coolant. Were these 3.6l H6s even more problematic?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just bought a 2014 Outback 2.5 at the beginning of last month with only 28k miles on it. This is our second Subaru as we own a 2018 Forester as well. Been looking at replacing the stock tires with some all terrain ones since we do lots of camping and road trips which take us on some dirt roads but nothing crazy. Thats what the Jeep is for :smile2:
Low miles! Nice!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
36 Participants
kjohannes
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing