Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5
5 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 Outback 3.6 and am loving it! It came with 225/65R17 Michelin Premier Tires that I knew would need replacement soon. I went to Discount Tire and they put on 225/60R17s. I have been trying to research the advantages/disadvantages of upgrading to the 65's. I like the idea of extra ground clearance. What are the other pro's & cons? There is lots of chatter on her about tires sizes but not much specific to these two sizes. I need to make a decision if I should go back and have them put the 65's ons so any input is appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
While the added height, while not much of a difference, is nice for off-roading I would stick with the stock size. The manufacture designed the car for 225/60R17 so it will keep you speedometer fairly accurate, plus your suspension angles may be slightly off by using a different size tire causing abnormal wear or steering feel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2014 Outback 2.5 at the beginning of last month with only 28k miles on it. This is our second Subaru as we own a 2018 Forester as well. Been looking at replacing the stock tires with some all terrain ones since we do lots of camping and road trips which take us on some dirt roads but nothing crazy. Thats what the Jeep is for :smile2:

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
Hi all! First post in the Gen 4 forum. I'm looking at this very gorgeous 2013 H6 right now that has only like 86 thousand miles on it. I just found out from the dealer tonight that the car had a head gasket replacement in January of this year! While I normally can appreciate a fresh head gasket, this is very troubling to me. Why would a car only 6 years old with less than 100K, that seems it was well maintained, even need a head gasket so soon? My 2002 with the 3 liter H6 blew when the car had 174K miles, was 15 years old and had very worn out coolant. Were these 3.6l H6s even more problematic?

·
Registered
2014 OB 3.6R SAP
153 Posts
Just bought a 2014 Outback 2.5 at the beginning of last month with only 28k miles on it. This is our second Subaru as we own a 2018 Forester as well. Been looking at replacing the stock tires with some all terrain ones since we do lots of camping and road trips which take us on some dirt roads but nothing crazy. Thats what the Jeep is for :smile2:
Low miles! Nice!

·
Registered
2014 OB 3.6R SAP
153 Posts
Hi all! First post in the Gen 4 forum. I'm looking at this very gorgeous 2013 H6 right now that has only like 86 thousand miles on it. I just found out from the dealer tonight that the car had a head gasket replacement in January of this year! While I normally can appreciate a fresh head gasket, this is very troubling to me. Why would a car only 6 years old with less than 100K, that seems it was well maintained, even need a head gasket so soon? My 2002 with the 3 liter H6 blew when the car had 174K miles, was 15 years old and had very worn out coolant. Were these H6s even more problematic?
To my knowledge the H6 engine Subaru makes is one of the most reliable and has very little problems. That’s why I bought ours. It’s a tried and true platform as, up until the new 2020 OB, it was still an option.

It does seem worrisome that it had to have an HG replacement...I bought ours with 38k miles and there were and are no issues. Does the dealer (Subaru dealer?) have any other information? Maybe you’d want to get an extended warranty.

I’m trying to remember causes of premature HG failure....sorry I’m not of more help.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
I have a question

I am also looking at a 2010 Subaru Legacy which to my understanding is roughly the same vehicle. It's got the 3.6R and is relative low miles(less than 80K). I read the 3.6's are robust, but is there any problems with the legacy? I know they have a Legacy forum somewhere but I figure I can just ask here and get relative answers. I read about a torque converter issue causing the cars to stall, I assume that hits home here too right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello, newbie here.
i'm wondering since you bought the same car as we did, 2014, 2.5l v4 what kind of gas milage you are getting please?
we are getting 20mpg doing highway miles and its confusing us as its advertised as going to get about 30pmg on the freeway.
we drive an hour n i-95 to and from work with just 5 minutes from the offramp to work and/or home.

please and thank you.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
516 Posts
hello, newbie here.
i'm wondering since you bought the same car as we did, 2014, 2.5l v4 what kind of gas milage you are getting please?
we are getting 20mpg doing highway miles and its confusing us as its advertised as going to get about 30pmg on the freeway.
we drive an hour n i-95 to and from work with just 5 minutes from the offramp to work and/or home.

please and thank you.

Sounds like you should check your plugs or filters, ours gets a solid 28 if not better on the highway. Worst Ive seen dips to 24 in the winter months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like you should check your plugs or filters, ours gets a solid 28 if not better on the highway. Worst Ive seen dips to 24 in the winter months.
Thank you, so weird since it should have been serviced before being sold to us last week, even with 54k miles on it you would think the dealer should i have checked stuff like that.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
516 Posts
Ya, no problem they definitely should have but the mileage your at everything should be good even if it wasn't serviced but the MPG your getting is way too low. Best of luck finding out what is wrong!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger...

Been shopping for an Outback since 2010, and I finally did it. Bought a 2013 Limited with 40K miles on it a week ago, and it included such complete service records that I felt good about the purchase. I traded in my 2010 Prius.

This weekend, for the first time, we drove in rain. The tires still have a lot of tread on them, so I was surprised when it felt like I was hydroplaning left and right. It wasn't major, but minor slips and starts that I'm not used to feeling AND didn't expect with AWD.

Anyone else experience this? It was heavy rain, but not like a monsoon or anything. I'm trying to figure out if it's just the way Outbacks handle, or if there's something mechanical I should have looked at. Any thoughts or feedback are really, really appreciated.
I have and it is likely time for new or different tires. Outbacks are fantastic on wet roads, and are very sure footed. I have had tires with lots of tread on them, but some tires will still hydroplane in the rain (even brand new ones). Check the ratings on your tires for wet traction. I bet the hydroplaning goes away with a good set of all season tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noobler owner here. '13 with 88K and this thread is amazing. I wish I would have seen it before we purchased, but I think we asked most of the important questions. :)

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,335 Posts
hello, newbie here.

please and thank you.
Is your 20mpg from the fuel display or calculated from fill-up to fill-up?
Also, I find this car is pretty sensitive to driving style. I can get anywhere from 21 to 28 depending on how aggressive my right foot is. Whereas our RSX gets consistent numbers seemingly no matter how I drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is your 20mpg from the fuel display or calculated from fill-up to fill-up?
Also, I find this car is pretty sensitive to driving style. I can get anywhere from 21 to 28 depending on how aggressive my right foot is. Whereas our RSX gets consistent numbers seemingly no matter how I drive.
funny you should mention 'driving style'.

the salesman tried that on me and then i called a competing dealership, not mentioning it was somebody else's car we bought and the competing dealership tried to tell me the exact same thing.
they recommended getting diagnostic done. $58, we have to go that route for sure then i'll know for certain its my wife's driving style but...

my wife is the only one driving this car.
my wife has never seen a fast & furious movie.
my wife doesn't even know how iconic the bullet car chase scene is.
my wife only knows that the dukes of hazard was a tv show in the late 70s.

and finally...

my wife drives so slow it drives me nuts.

the other possible reason was how long we warmed up the car.
we lived in rhode island for three years and never, ever saw our gas milage go down that drastically from 30 estimated down to 20mpg real warming up the car in freezing temperatures for 5-10 minutes before driving.
we had a nissan maxima(1998) and a 94 accord back from 2003-2006.

previously some one here thought about spark plugs maybe needing replaced but when i test drove the car i took it up to 90mph on i-95 because well, yeah, i've seen all the F&F movies and also if a car needed timing or spark plugs you would definitely hear it, let alone feel it.

i'm at my wit's end.

anybody know a good repair shop in bangor, ME for a diagnostic?

thank you to everyone for their replies. everyone.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
185 Posts
The winter blend gas and 5-10 minute warm up may have an effect on mileage but if you feel the need, I'm confident that a shop will find something to sell you. winter blend

·
Registered
8 Posts
i haven't heard the locals say anything about any winter blend gas and believe i've been telling everybody around here even tonight at auto zone where i had to get a new battery for our legacy. nobody has mentioned it.
a local garage repair shop which is listed #1 on a yelp search for bangor said it might be the air in the tires so i ahem to check that out. he said to get them up to 35-36psi. i did notice the left front looked a bit down but we just moved and i haven't unpacked my tire gauges yet. so i'd better get on that and am seeing said garage saturday morning.

thx for your reply. duncan(great poster name btw)

·
Registered
8 Posts
anybody have trouble with your oil light going on and off?
it stays on for 20 minutes at a time but when we get home and the car cools down it seems like the stick is wet much further up than the second hole in the dipstick but the 1st and 2nd hole do not have oil 'in' them...
i don't want to put too much oil in so any recommendations please???

101 - 120 of 134 Posts