Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
opps, oil is down below the first little hole... looks like a lawsuit was filed and won.

now i have to figure out how to get the dealer to honor the results of the lawsuit...

...or just keep putting in oil very month.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,482 Posts
opps, oil is down below the first little hole... looks like a lawsuit was filed and won.

now i have to figure out how to get the dealer to honor the results of the lawsuit...

...or just keep putting in oil very month.
as long as you made the claim within the warranty period they should honor it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 2012 3.6 and a 2014 2.5. Finally got around to taking them in for the airbag recall. Sadly I found that the 2014 2.5 is in need of a head gasket and oil an gasket. The 2012 went in to a different dealer for the airbag recall, Come to find out we have been told BOTH are in needed of a head gasket. The dealer that did 2012 airbag, came back with a laundry list of items needing "immediate" attention. The 2012 is at 107K and the 2014 is at 74K. HIGHLY disappointed as I had read the head gasket issues had been resolved. So on the 2014, my extended warranty is on for 7 yrs 100K. I was advised to work with Subaru direct first. They did respond quickly to the diagnosis, however they are only willing to cover $1400 of the $2800 estimate. While I was waiting on the diagnosis, I actually test drove the 2020 Forester and the Outback. Outback by far is a superior vehicle of those 2, however I'm not sure I am willing to risk buying something that will require MAJOR engine work every 5-6 years.

SO disappointed.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,482 Posts
^ you and I are in the same boat with the 2014... but I got SOA involved and it is being worked out.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Got a 2010 3.6R premium for $8500. they normally go for about $10-11K here.

things you need to look for on a used outback 3.6R after you drive it about 30 miles or so.

1. suspension noises, there is a reason my car was $8500. Thankfully about $350 in parts has resolved that issue. (new OEM control arms, bushings, end links)

2. does the transmission shift well when cold and hot? If not, RUNNNNN FORREST RUNNNNN!!!!

3. connect a OBDII tool and check to make sure all of the readiness monitors have passed and that there are no pending codes. If not, move along, you got potential issues.

4. are all of the tires the same brand and age/wear?

5. these cars wear diapers under the engine bay so you will need to have the car inspected by a reputable mechanic
if you are unable to do the inspection yourself for leaks.

6. open the hood, does it smell like any fluid or burning fluid?

fluid visible check

power steering should be red
coolant is either green or blue (Subaru now uses the blue coolant)
brake fluid should not be so dark you cannot see light through it

hose check

is the intake on tight? is it stock? if not, move along.

7. does the engine run smoothly, if not, move along, could be plugs, could be something else

8. remove push pins on air duct and then remove duct and check air filter, does it look nasty? Prolly should move along as what else are they holding off on?

If you buy the car

1. take it straight for an oil change.

2. you are going to have to service EVERY SINGLE FLUID regardless of mileage... unless the previous owner hands you a super stack of service maintenance work done, consider it not done. Will cost you around $150-200 if you use al OEM stuff (coolant, brake fluid, ATF, differential) and about 40% if you go aftermarket.

on my car that I bought I have replaced

engine oil
trans fluid
power steering fluid
differential fluid
new tires
new end links front and rear
new sway bar bushings front and rear
new center caps (some were missing)
new air filter
new cabin filter
new serpentine belt

it had newish brake fluid due to newish brakes so I will service it in the spring when it gets warmer outside, ditto for the coolant. finally I will tackle the spark plugs (what a pitb)

I will also be putting on newer lower control arms as a complete assembly and new smart strut assemblies for a 13-14 in the spring (all 4 corners)

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,714 Posts
^ you and I are in the same boat with the 2014... but I got SOA involved and it is being worked out.
A pair of 2014 vehicles with FB engines needing head gaskets? Really?? What are the symptoms? Internal or external leaks? Oil or coolant?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
in my case we will find out. tech stated they were not sure if it was coolant and oil. car is schedule for next Tuesday. SOA is chipping in 750 towards repair...that will cost about $850...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
update, reseal fixed the oil leak no HG issues

to add to what you would look for in a used outback... the 3.6R comes with a water to oil cooler and that front pipe that runs under the engine is very prone to corrosion. I am replacing mine (parts on order)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do yourself a favor, don't buy one with a CVT unless you want to roll the dice on a several thousand dollar replacement. If I had known about the CVT issues and the repair cost, I would not have bought my 2012. As good as it is, and it is a good car, 9k for a CVT is outrageous.

·
Registered
23 Posts
all these HG issues have me concerned! I've seen bad HGs on other vehicles before but never on a opposed engine, this being my first. I have a 2014 2.5 CVT with about 94k miles. what are they symptoms?

what i've noticed is just how much oil the engine consumes; more than any other car i've owned and i've owned lots of older cars with bad valve seals that didn't consume this much. thank God for the oil low light, which has turned on twice early in my ownership during long highway drives. now i check the oil level once a month as a precaution and end up adding up to half a quart at a time. is this a bad HG? could just be the nature of the engine?

i also hear a lot of what sounds like rod knock during dead stop starts, and this isn't even while flooring it - just normal acceleration application...not comforting at all!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
the FB motors do not have any passages for coolant between the head and the block. head gasket failure is not a known issue with the FB2.X motors

121 - 134 of 134 Posts