Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal. I will be looking at purchasing either a used 08-09 OB or wait for the new Crosstrek.

Here is my mission:

I live in Arizona and either car will see some light offroad use. Most of the time, it would be just me and some gear. (my wife's company car is a 2011 Forester that we drive for free when we travel as a family) I do NOT plan on camping for weeks on end so storage in either would be adequate. I love the overall utility of the OB but struggle with the size of it. I LOVE the look and specs of the soon to be released Crosstrek and it seems to fit "me" better. BUT, although either car will be a cash purchase, I could save some serious money by buying a used OB.

I am heavily leaning towards the Crosstrek since it is basically a lifted Impreza..meaning not a clean sheet design. (Never fly the A model of anything). But I do not want to discount the utility of a nice used OB.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations...all appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
the XV may be a lifted impreza, but I thought it was to arrive with an all-new engine and all-new revision of the CV transmission. It may not be clean sheet, but it's not a touch-up either.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I wouldn't go with either. You're worried about the size of the OB, so that's a no go, and the Crosstrek has less power, so personally I'd get another Forester. Smaller than the OB, and more power than the Crosstrek. Problem solved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ya, that horse power in the Crosstrek bothers me. That said, I don't like that the new Impreza hatch has such low horsepower either, but I have read that it is actually performing as well or better than the previous models with more horsepower. But at our elevation in Colorado, lower horsepower is even worse than at sea level, so I lean away from lower powered cars. Not sure where you are in Arizona, so elevation may or may not add to the equation.

Adding a Forester might be a good suggestion, given what we know so far.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
My '06 Forester X had more balls than my '12 OB CVT, but still prefer the OB for the nicer ride on the freeway and more cargo space.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The size of the OB is not a show stopper..just a concern. I have the garage space for it so that is not an issue. I will have to do some more looking.

One thing I am looking at is picking up an OB, driving it a couple of years and see what they do with the Crosstrek (bigger motor...)

I like my wife's car...not as much as the OB. She might be getting a new company car (2013 Ford Escape)..so maybe I can buy her Forrester for next to nothing from the company.

I will add this. I have learned that late model/high mileage means little. My wife drives the **** out of her cars (she is a drug rep) and all of them: Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, and the Subie, have been trouble free cars. Not a thing wrong with any of them..nothing. She puts 35,000 miles a year on her cars. It seems the key to keeping a car going is driving it..a lot.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
17 Posts
Tim, I was a little leary of the new FB20 motor in the new Impreza/XV until I drove my co-worker's 2012 Impreza and it accelerates smoothly and is pretty peppy with CVT on the highway. He commutes 60+ miles a day roundtrip so the gas mileage on it is a big plus. I am sold on the XV since it will mostly carry me and my gear also plus I wanted the ground clearance of the Forester. I would test drive the Impreza/XV to see if it fits the bill for you.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
if i was looking right now, i'd be browsing the crosstrek.

the new outback is ok, but doesn't have the same pull as the previous model.

the crosstrek looks a bit more entertaining.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
If I were in that quandary, I would be very tempted to get the used OB and wait a year or two for them to revise and update/upgrade the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I'd hold out for the new Forester if power is of any concern.

The Crosstek might get a little more refined, but I doubt it will offer any different powerplant than the Impreza. Hopefully in the next few years ALL Subarus will get DI, so that will be a great plus.

I think the 2014 Forester is going to be quite an upgrade for the Forester line up. After all they are going to need to really set it apart from the Crosstek. A DI 2.5 with a more rugged suspension and an upgraded interior will do the trick, no doubt it will have a CVT option. Honestly at the current pricepoint, I can't understand why they sell so well, with the OB being so close.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The XV is going to be far more fun and enjoyable to live with jetting around town and will probably be more fun off the pavement than the OB simply due to the size difference.

For a solo person who is active doing lots of camping - outdoors stuff biking etc - the XV would probably be a great size. Anyone with a family who does the kid transport to school etc will probably find that the XV is just fine as long as your not super tall and have rear facing car seats in play. It won't be the car you take on road trips with the kids and the wife + all your crap if you own a larger car or have an Outback sitting in the driveway also the OB space will trump the XV for that type of need.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Numbers look pretty hum hum to me - I bet they update to a 3.6 boxer next year.
Not gonna happen. This is to replace the confusingly named Impreza Outback / Sport. I can't see anyway they will adapt a new drivetrain to the Crosstek, it just doesn't make sense. Especially considering how low in volume the 3.6 sales are for the OB. I could see them maybe, MAYBE, adding a turbo down the line, but I still highly doubt that. Maybe if they ever produce and refine their electric turbo... Even then they would do so cautiously as not to dilute the WRX/STI brand.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,042 Posts
If that car had the 175 HP (or whatever HP it is) 2.5 boxer, Subaru would sell TONS more IMHO...
I like the looks of the XV though.:D

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Looks like it's an ok car. But there really ought to be a "WRXV" with more oomph. Maybe next year?

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
The XV is a sweet ride (on paper at least). I'm contemplating buying one and ( :eek: ) getting back into a Subaru, something I swore I'd never do.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
The XV is a sweet ride (on paper at least). I'm contemplating buying one and ( :eek: ) getting back into a Subaru, something I swore I'd never do.

After the luck you had with your OB, I think I'd at least wait until the 2nd year for the XV, if I were you..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts