Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. Not too sure where it belongs....

I own a 2008 Subaru OB limited with55K miles. I just received a letter from a Subaru dealership (not the one I bought from) offering to buy back the car for the original MSRP. I looked that up and it's between $22-32K. The letter also said Subaru is offering 0% financing now. I'm in year 2 of a 6 year payment ($253/mo) on my Outback, at 4.25%. Six years of payments is a drag, but I cannot afford a higher car payment. Trying to figure out if it's worth taking a 45 minute drive to the dealership to see if I could possibly keep or lower my monthly pymt amount and get a newer Subaru. I tried to get info from the sales dept over the phone and they wouldn't give me any specifics, just a vague "We've helped a lot of people out.")
Does anyone have any experience with this type of offer? Does it sound at all feasible, given my low monthly pymt limit? I have great trepidation when it comes to potential sales lures.
Thanks and I'm glad to find my way here!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I doubt you are going to see anything near 22k. The guaranteed trade price from SOA for my 2011 loaded limited is 24k and dropping monthly. I would keep your low milage '08 and investigate a lower interest rate for your existing loan. Credit unions can be 1.99% give or take. I think the dealer is fishing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
if anything, find a loan calculator online and start throwing in numbers.

look at the dealer's inventory online, find a car you like, use the window sticker as a base price, subtract your trade, enter an interest rate and see where you land.

if it looks good... give it a try :)

joel

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Sounds fishy to me, but I'd check out what they have online and figure out how much you can finance (if it's 0% that's an easy task lol) and go in and see what happens. If you want to stick at 253/mo at 0% over 60 months your looking at roughly $15k. To me 45 mins isn't a long drive though. Take a back road, enjoy the drive and grab a nice dinner and make a date out of it. A lot of times the 0% is only 36mo or less. But they offer 2.9 at 60 and 72 quite often.

I use bankrate.com alot for their calculators. Lots of useful ones on there.

·
Registered
2013 Green Outback Limited 2.5, Past Subarus owned: 2011 Ruby Red Outback 2.5 Ltd with Moon and other goodies, 2007 Outback Premium 5sp, 2000 Outback Ltd AT, 1997 Outback Basic 5sp, 1990 Legacy LS
147 Posts
if anything, find a loan calculator online and start throwing in numbers.

look at the dealer's inventory online, find a car you like, use the window sticker as a base price, subtract your trade, enter an interest rate and see where you land.

if it looks good... give it a try :)

joel

Don't forget to subtract what you owe on your 08 from the trade value.

Good Luck,

Rick G

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The high ball trade in offer is the hook to get you in. Once there, you discover the trade in offer is contingent on paying full msrp on the new OB, must use their financing, must choose extended warranty, must choose "diamond coat" and every other high profit mark up nonsense.
no thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! So nice to get all these replies.

Yeah, when I called the dealership the sales guy acted like he could take or leave the sales lead and wasn't going to do me any favors...I do think they're fishing. I love the look of the '11 and '12 OBs but I'm happy my "08 Limited so I think I'll just appreciate what I have and try to get a little better interest rate on the loan.

Again, thanks for all the help!!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback Limited
33 Posts
Marketing Ploy

@Fritterm, I used to sell Subies, and can tell you those letters, whether they come from a dealer or the factory, are full of caveats. The fine print mentions "condition," which of course is determined by the dealer. The interest rate you get is also determined by the dealer, and is based on whether or not your credit is "Tier 1."

Basically what the letter is trying to get you to do is bring the car into the dealer and start talking about buying or leasing a new car. There is nothing underhanded about it, but it is a marketing ploy to get what is probably a happy customer to move up the purchase of their next new Subaru.

Also as good as any deal is, don't forget there is always sales tax on the new vehicle you are buying, which in many cases can turn a good deal into a loser.

If you have a car with low mileage you are probably better hanging on to it because like it or not you have already taken a hit on the initial depreciation, though on a 2008, you probably don't have to worry about that as much now. If it is in Great condition, you can get more for it by selling it private party, if you can deal with the inconvenience. (A lot of times the extra money you will get selling a car private party isn't worth the additional brain damage.)

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
I own a 2008 Subaru OB limited with 55K miles ... received a letter from
a Subaru dealership offering to buy back the car for the original MSRP.
If it sounds too good to be true...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
Also as good as any deal is, don't forget there is always sales tax on the new vehicle you are buying, which in many cases can turn a good deal into a loser.
There should only be sales tax on the difference between the price of the new car and the value of the trade-in. In other words, if you were buying a $25,000 car, and they were giving you $15,000 for your trade-in, you would only pay tax on $10,000.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I got a GTP letter from Subaru for my '06 Forester X MT earlier this year with a price quoted at $10,500, but after reading the fine print I realized my car met NONE of the criteria (cracked windshield, more miles, somewhat extensive body damage, cracked lights, interior was a mess) and they still gave me the GTP price without any haggling, but receiving a letter that states that they will give you back the original MSRP on a 4 year old car is just ridiculous. That's not going to happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the insider info, Joe. The one line that the sales guy used several times that rubbed me the wrong way was "I don't want to compromise your integrity or mine by giving you any ballpark estimates over the phone." That made up my mind that it WOULD compromise my valuable time to continue this discussion over the phone OR in person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts