Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 H6-3.0 O.B. LL Bean
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 H6-3.0 Outback makes an occasional buzzing sound for a second when I first start it up. Today I changed oil and filter and it made this sound for longer and a bit louder so I shut it down. Restarted it and everything was alright. Was that a dry engine start that I heard? I suspect it had something to do with the dry filter until it filled maybe? You can't pre-fill a sideways filter anyways.

Rick

·
Registered
1995 2.2 Auto Legacy Sedan
142 Posts
I fill the dry filter 1/3 - halfway and slowly turn it around in my hand and coat the inside and let the filter absorb most of the oil and then install it. Did this today for my first oil change and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
Could be the chain rattling until oil pressure builds.

After an oil change I crank it for a moment and shut the key right off 4-5 times, by then it cranks and runs with oil pressure.

·
Registered
2001 H6-3.0 O.B. LL Bean
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the chain rattling until oil pressure builds.

After an oil change I crank it for a moment and shut the key right off 4-5 times, by then it cranks and runs with oil pressure.
Would that be the timing chain you are suggesting? The engine starts immediately when I turn the key and the engine revs up then returns to idle. The buzz is right where it revs and then totally goes away. It just buzzed longer than usual and spooked me. I suppose it could be the chain alright.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
If it sounds like a fast rattling probably the chain, if it's knock-knock-knock it's a dry rod bearing...

·
Registered
2002 Outback Station Wagon & 2017 Volt
20 Posts
if it's knock-knock-knock it's a dry rod bearing...
My OB is knocking when cold on start up, is there anything I can do? I does go away eventually. Put in M1 this summer when I got it and have only put on maybe 2k miles since then. Thanks

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts
The next time you feel it may make the noise, open the hood and try to determine generally where the noise comes from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its definately and engine knock. I have a heated garage so in the morning its quiet, but when I go home from work it knocks pretty loud until it warms up a little. I'll try to get a better idea where its coming from toinght when I go home.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts
sry, I got confused in this thread.

Bmike, Occasionally, a weak TB tensioner will let the belt flop around and it can sound like a knock or piston slap, but it does seem you have a real mechanical problem. Might be piston slap which is annoying but not terribly serious. Have you tried different oil?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Knocks that knock when cold and go away are usually piston slap.

Knocks that don't go away or get worse as the oil warms are rod knocks.

(generally speaking)

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
You can floor the gas pedal and crank the motor to build oil pressure too -- the gas pedal floored turns off the fuel injectors. I do this with every oil change on my 2.5. Fill the oil filter, screw it on, fill the motor, and then crank the motor 2 or 3 times for 10 seconds each to prime the system a decent amount.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
You can floor the gas pedal and crank the motor to build oil pressure too -- the gas pedal floored turns off the fuel injectors. I do this with every oil change on my 2.5. Fill the oil filter, screw it on, fill the motor, and then crank the motor 2 or 3 times for 10 seconds each to prime the system a decent amount.
I know some cars were programmed to cut the injectors while cranking WFO (to help clear a flooded engine), didn't know subaru did that. Cool beans. I'll try it tonight (with a warm engine).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Of course it didn't seem as loud today but I tried to record, please ignor the video just trying to get audio:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
The 2003 H6 apparently does not have this feature- maybe this is on throttle-by-wire systems only?

Even with the injectors on it does effectively clear a flooded engine.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
The 2003 H6 apparently does not have this feature- maybe this is on throttle-by-wire systems only?

Even with the injectors on it does effectively clear a flooded engine.
Interesting. Mine isn't throttle-by-wire; I have a physical throttle cable from the pedal to the throttle body. But I have the same year H4; maybe it's a difference between motors... but that seems unusual.

Stupid question, but was it all the way to the floor? Any chance there's a floor mat preventing full throttle? It'd have to be a heck of a mat though... hmm.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,640 Posts
Interesting. Mine isn't throttle-by-wire; I have a physical throttle cable from the pedal to the throttle body. But I have the same year H4; maybe it's a difference between motors... but that seems unusual.

Stupid question, but was it all the way to the floor? Any chance there's a floor mat preventing full throttle? It'd have to be a heck of a mat though... hmm.
It may be a curled up weather tech. :)

I have never noticed a long start period that was intentionally initiated by the ECM. What it is most likely doing is taking longer to start due to the amount of available air, lack of good vacuum and low injector cycle that is allowing it. It doesn't get the proper air/fuel mix with WOT starts so it won't really create combustion to start it.

In a "flooded" engine, the WOT allows for more air to mix with the already high concentrate of fuel and with the engine rotation pumping the mix in/out, thinning the fuel portion, it eventually starts.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
No floor mat in the way, was fully floored.

I know the feature does exist on some cars out there...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Now I'm confused why mine behaves this way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts