Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well team, Turdsay morning i was taking the wife to work and some fool decided that stoping to que for the junction like everyone else wasnt for him.

My lovely 2000 H6 got a pounding as did me and the wife. We got discharged from the hospital around lunch time, and have been slowly getting back to normal. Both of us have bad whiplash, but have been told that its pretty normal for an event like this and we will heal in time (physio appointment in the morning).

Not sure if the photos show too well the damage done, but lets put it this way, my seat snapped one of the mounts in the impact!

Im over the shock of the accident now, although I still feel VERY nervous every time i come to a stop and look in the rear view at the person following (will they stop?)

So im on the hunt for a new vehicle. Thinking a 2006ish LL Bean version for a bit more comfort. Only thing that baffles me is how do I fit my stereo into that dash?

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but can someone help me out? (off to pop more pain killers:28:)

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Good quick resource I have always used was Crutchfield. I think of it like using wikipedia, great for quick answers but always double check.

They say that for the 2006 with automatic climate control...

"In order to install your new receiver, you'll need to fabricate a mounting kit. Professional installation may be required." Most vehicles they have a pre-made kit so it's like bolt on and go.

In other words you would have to make something or have someone make it for you. I'm not sure someone has an "easy kit" for this, but if they do... someone on here will know.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
That was a terrible impact! Praying for a speedy and full recovery for both of you. Glad you are getting physical therapy, which is my occupation. I highly recommend using a naturopathic product with arnica in it to help with the soreness. My favorite product here in the states is called Traumeel. Best wishes!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Sorry to see you've had to let your 4-wheeled pal go. Looks like a rough hit. My neck still gives a twinge from my last hit, 7 years now. Glad you & your wife had no further injury.

There's an expensive JDM kit to allow installation of any standard DIN size stereo in a BP. Looks & works great, just costs a fortune relative to its function.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that guys. Yea looks like fitting a standard deck to the newer outback is an expensive proposition? Cant understand why manufacturers would do that, particularly a Japanese one, where they are always swapping the decks out? You would think that someone would be doing a replacement facia plate for the front of the climate control system, and a second one as a surround for the deck? Only other option seems the expensive replacement of the entire climate control system?

Yea the wife has been applying some kind of arnica gel. Sure helps. Just wished the pain would stop. Physio has told me iv got about six weeks till I’m fully healed. Oh well, just take it easy until then. As long as I’m fit and ready for the approaching ski season?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad that ou are both doing so well.

Too bad that guy didn't have Eyesight...

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Thanks for that guys]Yea the wife has been applying some kind of arnica gel. Sure helps. Just wished the pain would stop. Physio has told me iv got about six weeks till I’m fully healed. Oh well, just take it easy until then. As long as I’m fit and ready for the approaching ski season?

Since you are very active and want to get back to skiing, let me just say I'm a huge fan of acupuncture for speeding up the healing process. Twice, I've had acupuncture after traumatic injuries and gotten 80-95% relief after one treatment. Worth a try, and drug-free!

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
I hope you both come out ok!!! It looks like your Subie did what it was supposed to do...protect you! :(

I hope you're ok with this, but I LOVE the shifter in your Subie and used your picture to see if I can find one....but more importantly, I hope you both feel better soon, and good luck on your search--when you feel better!

Elle

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
Glad to see you're ok! Hope your recovery goes well. After a hit like that, well, I'm glad it wasn't me.

It sucks to see a perfectly good Subie taken out, but everytime I see one, makes me glad to be driving one, knowing that I'll more than likely survive to drive another.

Good luck on a fast recovery! :)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Wow wholly cow he nailed you guys hard. For sure get some time in a hot tub to make those sore muscles feel a little better. I've been bumped a couple of times a hit like that for sure is going to leave you feeling pretty beat up.

·
Registered
01 H6, 04 2.5, 72 Sonnett
90 Posts
I feel your pain. Last time a teen from Michigan hit us at a stop sign and I could see him coming and was able to tell my wife brace for impact. One nice aspect the teen (16) lost his drivers license (Michigan law). That car was repaired and just recently went to my son. I have just replaced it with a 2012 3.6 L and I love it uses regular gas (20 cents cheaper) and about 5 MPG less of it.

·
Registered
2008 Outback WGN 2.5i Auto
46 Posts
Ouch!

Glad to here that your wife and you are in better shape than the Subie. Take the time to heal. Sorry you lost your pal there, but he did his job in the accident. Sounds like you have good plan to find, and tweak, you next partner on the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A 3D printer perhaps?

Sorry to see you've had to let your 4-wheeled pal go. Looks like a rough hit. My neck still gives a twinge from my last hit, 7 years now. Glad you & your wife had no further injury.

There's an expensive JDM kit to allow installation of any standard DIN size stereo in a BP. Looks & works great, just costs a fortune relative to its function.
Oh that makes me hurt for both of you and the your poor trusty Subie. Do you by any chance know someone with a 3D printer? It probably wouldn't take too much to measure up the opening and the deck. Then designing the bracket with Google Sketch-Up or Autodesk's 123D (both of which are free) would not be a tough job. Then all you need is a 3D printer to produce your mounting kit. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
probably find a 'bureau' online that can take the design upload, print it, then send it to you.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I have a hard time believing that one could be 3d printed, silk-screened and fabricated for much less than buying the genuine article. Keep in mind, the kit includes a replacement HVAC controller with buttons, rotary encoders, a printed circuit board, a display, and probably more that I can't think of now. Not expensive if you plan to sell 250,000 plus units, but a lot more if its only 10k.

I have installed one of these kits. Even the bracket alone is sophisticated. Some parts are metal because they need to be that strong and that thin at the same time.

Now I admit I have very limited exposure to 3d printing... Curious to learn if anyone can say anything regarding finish and durability properties. How easy is it to add fine texture? Could we expect the part to handle 180F/82C temps for a long time? Stereos get hot, and the whole car interior can get very hot in summer sun.

·
Registered
2001 Legacy Outback LTD, 2.5 automatic 4cyl
19 Posts
:( so sorry about your necks and hope you recover fully. This beauty is very like my 2001 mica black Outback LTD. Sad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts