Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
I have no personal experience with LTX on a Subaru but if those were my Michelin choices I would go with the Premier LTX over the Standard Touring A/S.

The Premier LTX features Expanding Rain Grooves and Emerging Grooves first introduced on the Premier A/S passenger car tire line. The benefit of these two features is the lessened drop off of wet traction as the tire wears when compared to the competition. This feature is what sets the tire apart from the Defender LTX

I think that's the same difference between the Premier LTX and the Standard Touring A/S (Defender).
The quote you highlighted days the Premier A/Select also has those grooves, so I'm not sure what your point is...

The quote you highlighted days the Premier A/Select also has those grooves, so I'm not sure what your point is...

I think he's comparing the Premier LTX to the Defender Touring LTX - and the quote says the Premier line has the Expanding Rain Grooves and Emerging Grooves and the Defender Touring LTX tires do not. My vote is for the Premier LTX over the Defender LTX for the Outback. He can't get the Premier A/S in his size. :8:

I put the Michelin Premier LTX on my 3.6 limited. I have fewer than 20k on them and they are down to 2/32. Michelin engineer inspected them today and filed a warranty claim with Michelin. He said Michelin does not have an explanation but they are working on it. My local Michelin dealer and the engineer recommended using Michelin Lattitude HP. The engineer indicated the AS and LTX were the same tire. I’m disappointed in the wear I got out of the LTX, but I’m impressed with the way Michelin is stepping up to the plate.

I’ve been looking other highly rated tires in the 225 60 18 size and they are having the same wear issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now I find my choices limited (as of 11-3-17):

Not available in size 225/65r17:
Michelin Defender_____ Standard Touring All-Season

Available:
Michelin Defender T+H 102H___ Standard Touring A/S, wear 820, 10/32"

/QUOTE]

My favorite tire guy at Sams recently told me that the Defender has been replaced by the Defender T+H in the 225/65r17 size. Hopefully buy the time we must replace the tires on our 17 there will be a better selection or this OB may be resting on blocks for a while.

We hit 25,000 on our '17 Touring Bridgstones and landed on the Premier A/S for replacement.
Wow, were those OEM Bridgestones garbage. My husband is disgusted we have to replace tires so soon.
But, I'm really looking forward to these Michelins, I hope the road noise in the cabin goes down!
We had Defenders on our old '02 and loved them.

I put the Michelin Premier LTX on my 3.6 limited. I have fewer than 20k on them and they are down to 2/32. Michelin engineer inspected them today and filed a warranty claim with Michelin. He said Michelin does not have an explanation but they are working on it. My local Michelin dealer and the engineer recommended using Michelin Lattitude HP. The engineer indicated the AS and LTX were the same tire. I’m disappointed in the wear I got out of the LTX, but I’m impressed with the way Michelin is stepping up to the plate.

I’ve been looking other highly rated tires in the 225 60 18 size and they are having the same wear issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I see the same complaints on tread wear on the Premier LTX on tirerack as well. I am looking at a new set for my 15 Outback soon, and am going back and forth on the Defender T+H, Premier LTX, or something else?

The other tire I see mentioned is Continental but they almost all seem to have a lower speed rating than recommended.

I suppose at some point I am overthinking it since any of these would be better than the stock Bridgestones

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.