Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take a moment and say goodbye to Subaru, and a BIGGGGG thanks to this forum. I've decided I can no longer deal with the transmission issue [non-issue according to SoA], and traded my Outback for a Nissan Frontier. I still refuse to see how what I, and a few others were experiencing, is considered "expected behavior". I also fail to understand how this issue ONLY happens when in non-sport mode. In my mind, IF it is a torque converter wanting to go into the "lock-up mode", as stated by the dealer/SoA, then it should do it in BOTH modes (since it is a mechanical component). But, what do I know??

At any rate, again, a big thanks to all.

After all's said and done, I've had a 2000 Outback Sport, 2004 Outback, and 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited.

Who knows, I may be back.

Best regards,
Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
Going away from the Subie family for a while is a good thing...you'll eventually realize how good these cars are and will be back at some point, whether it's the AWD that lures you back, or the safety for a kid's first car, or the need for a cheap, all-year sports car.

Best of luck with the Nissan! From what I've seen and heard, they are tough as nails :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I want to take a moment and say goodbye to Subaru, and a BIGGGGG thanks to this forum. I've decided I can no longer deal with the transmission issue [non-issue according to SoA], and traded my Outback for a Nissan Frontier. I still refuse to see how what I, and a few others were experiencing, is considered "expected behavior". I also fail to understand how this issue ONLY happens when in non-sport mode. In my mind, IF it is a torque converter wanting to go into the "lock-up mode", as stated by the dealer/SoA, then it should do it in BOTH modes (since it is a mechanical component). But, what do I know??

At any rate, again, a big thanks to all.

After all's said and done, I've had a 2000 Outback Sport, 2004 Outback, and 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited.

Who knows, I may be back.

Best regards,
Dan
Op good luck with this decision, we owned an '08 Nissan Crew Cab 4X4 with the automatic V6. The absolute worst vehicle I have owned. Purchased the truck brand new in '08 and in three years of ownership the truck blew out two sets of motor mounts, the drive shaft carrier bearing wore out at just 20k miles creating a clunk in the driveline at low speeds. HAVC stopped working, thankfully prior to warranty expiring. Also never got better than 14-15 mpg's even driving super conservatively with the cruise control on. I got rid of the truck before the known. & dreaded exploding chain tensioner guides quit. Look that up when you get a chance, it effects all 4.0L V6 Frontiers, X-Terra's, and Pathfinders from 2005+

I didn't follow you're Subaru problems but I would take a chance on any Subaru before I bought another Nissan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Op good luck with this decision, we owned an '08 Nissan Crew Cab 4X4 with the automatic V6. The absolute worst vehicle I have owned. Purchased the truck brand new in '08 and in three years of ownership the truck blew out two sets of motor mounts, the drive shaft carrier bearing wore out at just 20k miles creating a clunk in the driveline at low speeds. HAVC stopped working, thankfully prior to warranty expiring. Also never got better than 14-15 mpg's even driving super conservatively with the cruise control on. I got rid of the truck before the known. & dreaded exploding chain tensioner guides quit. Look that up when you get a chance, it effects all 4.0L V6 Frontiers, X-Terra's, and Pathfinders from 2005+

I didn't follow you're Subaru problems but I would take a chance on any Subaru before I bought another Nissan.
interesting, I happen to have an 2008 Frontier LE Crew Cab non 4x4 and have never had a problem of any kind with the truck and still get 22 on the open hwy. People have problems with all makes and models of cars and trucks regardless of manufacturer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
interesting, I happen to have an 2008 Frontier LE Crew Cab non 4x4 and have never had a problem of any kind with the truck and still get 22 on the open hwy. People have problems with all makes and models of cars and trucks regardless of manufacturer.
i agree, a lemon's a lemon...:iam:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Look up the VQ4 exploding chain tensioner issue, it's not an if problem but when. Or just keep $2k aside for when it goes. Also unless my buddy whos '05 Frontier Nismo went through worse issues than my '08 was "just a lemon" too than oh well guess you are right. Sorry the Frontier is a POS, glad to be in a trouble free 2011 Ford F-150 now even gets much better mpg's and 100x more comfortable to drive. Seriously I wish you luck with the truck, I sincerely do, I'm just saying mine was junk as well as everyone else I know that had or owned a Frontier, X-Terra, Pathfinder from 2005+

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear you had tht problem, but I am glad you posted. I have searched multiple times for someone with a similar problem to the one I am having with my 07 Limited, but your prior posts did not come up before.

My symptoms are a bit more subtle - while accelerating lightly, there is a brief hesitation that feels almost like running over rumble strips, then the rpm jumps up by a few hundred. The transmission also has a habit of shifting a bit too early, and then needs to downshift again. I have 50K on it now, and I don't recall it doing this when I bought it three years ago with 20K.

I'll get it to the dealer before too long, but I don't hold out much hope that they will be able to diagnose the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
Tex07Limited
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing