Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Outback collector. Have several: 99-'04
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have an '04 Outback (202K) with the CA emissions pkg. I live in VT. It's time to replace the cats. Question: can I use the basic 49 state legal replacement cats instead of the wickedly expensive CA cats? The car will remain here in VT. I just want it to be legal with no engine lights. Which O2 sensors should be used? The CA O2 sensors have a different plug, so I'd say they must be used.

Will the ECM function ok with non- CA parts? Just wondering. I had no idea this was a CA spec. vehicle until I went to replace the O2 sensor last week.

Recap: I want to install a non-CA cat on a CA spec vehicle. Thanks.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Don't you hate it when someone answers a question with a question? So, why do you believe it is time to replace the cats on your '04 Outback?

Admittedly 202K is a lot of miles (assuming the K is not for Kilometers) and they very well may need replacing, but if you search this site you'll see a lot of folks get the DTC P0420 CEL code and feel they should run out and buy new cats even though the code may actually be unrelated to the catalytic converters. Well, at least not directly related. There are even some owners who have replaced the cats and still had that check engine light (CEL) code.

·
Registered
Outback collector. Have several: 99-'04
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the code was bad O2 sensor. Replaced that w/ CA spec sensor (post cat). Now code is bad cat. I will get the actual code on Monday and report back.

I'd love to not replace the cats. To pass inspection here it has to pass OBDll, and no ck. engine lite.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts