Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer is telling me that this filter is still not available.

Does anyone else on the forum have a cabin air filter on an '05 MY?

The reason I ask is that we added this to the car ('05 Beaner) when we ordered it, and it was supposed to be installed by the dealer when we took delivery (last July ! !). At first the story was it was back-ordered, then it was they had a problem with the fit and had to redesign it, then it was they had another problem with the fit, now (6 months later) it is just not yet available.

I feel like the dealer is just giving me the run around on this.

If you have the filter on your Outback, do you have the part #?

Thanks,

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was told it came stock on mine. It would've been the only upgrade we were considering. Are you saying that it probably isn't even there?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 05 3.0R OB has a cabin air filter and my handbook has instructions for changing the insert each year. That is strange because here in UK we have very few dusty unmetalled roads. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's a left hand drive problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased a new OBXT and inquired about the cabin air filter. I was told that the dealership has not yet received any. I was also told that it just slips into a slot that is already there for it, behind the glovebox (have to remove the glovebox to access), and the "option" is the filter only...no housing or anything as it is already there!

Even if they did have them, dealer cost on the filter alone was said to be $55! And, you are supposed to change it every 15K miles.

I think I'll just get some 3M painting masks at the home center and wear them instead.

Tiger.:jump3:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased our Outback in Dec. 2004, in Sacramento Calif. Paid for cabin air filter + installation and have had almost word-for-word the same run-around as "skipatroller." Still no filter, or refund.

Good thing we like the car otherwise, but would sit better if we could get a straight story from Subaru!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
There is a "retrofit" kit for $88 that includes all necessary parts and the air filter allowing you to easily change/access the filter. Or if like me you are a cheap bugger, you can buy the air filter itself and then devise your own method to access/remove the parts to install/remove the air filter. You can buy the cabin air filters themselves for under $15. Mine did NOT come with a filter from the factory, but there is a slot/tray for one behind the glove compartment.

If you search the forums, there have been many threads on this. that provide the details on the kit and where to buy filters online.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
Random
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing